Cork, just inland from Ireland’s southwest coast, is a university city with its centre on an island in the River Lee, connected to the sea by Cork Harbour. The castle-like 1824 Cork City Gaol once held prisoners bound for Australia, and exhibitions relay the building’s history. The hilltop steeple of 18th-century Shandon Church (officially the Church of Saint Anne) is a symbol of the city.
Open Water Swimming
- It is a hotbed for open water swimmers, channel swimmers, marathon swimmer, and ice swimmers, and home to Cork Distance Week, centered around Sandycove Island and from Sherkin Island, one of the World's Top 100 Island Swims.
- Ned Denison will solo attempt a 8 km swim around the City of Cork on 3 June 2019 over 7 weirs and 30 bridges.
- Long, Hard Double Century Workouts Begin Around The World
- Where Mexican Swimmers Go, Others Are Following: 20,000-meter Workouts
- The Mexican 20,000m High Altitude Workout
- Drizzling, Dark, Dank...and Dangerous?
- Robert Bohane Honored By The Ireland Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame
- John Earls Honored By The Ireland Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame
- Robert Bohane Smashed Valencia Island Record
- Kirsten Read Draws Ned Denison's View Of The Open Water World
- Five Complete Swim Around The Island Of Cork City
- Learning How Best To Deal With The Cold By Nuala Moore
- Kevin Dennehy Is Driven, Traveling 100K To Swim 1.6K
- Reports Around The World – Ned Denison, Bruckner Chase on Open Water Wednesday
- The Immediate Future Of Open Water Swimming
- The Cork Distance Week Scheduled For July
- Martin Cullen, Father Of Cork Marathon Swimming
- Lisa Cummins, Irish Luminary In The Open Water
- Eilís Burns, Irish Luminary In The Open Water
- Deirdre Ward, Irish Luminary In The Open Water
- Kieran Fitzgerald, Godfather Of Irish Channel Swimming
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming
- Marathon Swimming
- Irish Long Distance Swimming Association Official Website
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- Men Who Have A Lot To Prove
- Denison Dares
- Eoin O’Riordan Completes His Millennium Swim Around Sandycove Island