Fionnuala Walsh (Co. Clare) is an open water swimmer from Ireland.
Open Water Swimming Highlights
- She was the first Irish female to achieve the Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming.
- She completed a 33.5 km crossing of the English Channel in 2012.
- She became the first Irish woman to complete a 32.3 km Catalina Channel crossing on 29 September 2013 (CM) in 10 hours 43 minutes.
- She xompleted a 45.9 km circumnavigation swim at the Manhattan Island Marathon Swim on 28 June 2014 to complete the Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming.
- She completed her third Oceans Seven channel when she crossed the Strait of Gibraltar in 3 hours 30 minutes on 15 October 2015.
- On 9 August 2012 in the English Channel, she swam across the English Channel and was roughly 200 meters from the finish at Wissant Beach in France, but her swim was aborted on safety grounds when she was not permitted to walk on to the beach to officially complete the swim. A dense fog had covered the English Channel that night and it was unsafe to proceed toward the shore alone with a dingy to officially complete the swim, under Channel Swimming rules her swim would never be certified or recognized. There were two other swimmers who suffered the same cruel fate that night.
- She returned on 9 October 2012 when Mother Nature was again unkind, but she completed an official crossing of the English Channel in 15 hours 26 minutes under the escort of Paul Foreman.
- She won the Female Swimmer of the Year Award in 2012 by the Irish Long Distance Swimming Association.
- She was awarded the Jersey Long Distance Swimming Club Award for the most successful swim against all odds in 2012.
- She was part of the Foireann Snamh Garibaldi team that swam across the English Channel in August 2011. The relay consisted of Sabrina Buselt, Joel Barnett, Catherine Sheridan, Kevin Williams, Fionnuala Walsh and Barbara Held who finished in 13 hours 52 minutes.
- Ireland Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame Class of 2021
- From The Isle Of Man To Ireland And Beyond
- The Celtic Quadrant
- Real Heroes Never Give Up
- Foireann Snamh Garibaldi on English Channel Website
- Irish Who's Who Honours Its Best And Toughest
- Open Water Swimming.com
- Channel Swimming & Piloting Federation page for Paul Foreman
- Channel Swimming & Piloting Federation new website
- Tasting Triumph After Facing Fate
- Fionnuala Walsh English Channel donation page
- All-Ireland Long Distance Swimming Party
- Irish Long Distance Swimming Association
- Triple Is Doubled In Once Around Manhattan
- Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming
- Utah's Joelle Beard Joins Triple Crown Of Open Water Swimming
- Four Makes Three, John Walker's Triple Crown
- Triple Crowners Showcase Their Fountain Of Youth - Age of Triple Crowners
- Marvelous Marathon Memories Of A Mountain Of A Man
- Trio Tandem Completes Anacapa Circumnavigation