Damián Blaum (born 11 June 1981 in Buenos Aires, Argentina) is a 40-year-old Olympic open water swimmer and professional marathon swimmer from Argentina. Blaum swam for Argentina at the 2008 Olympics where he finished 24th in the Men's 10 km marathon swimming event. He won the 2013 FINA Open Water Swimming Grand Prix professional circuit and was nominated as the 2013 World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year. He is married to fellow professional marathon swimmer Esther Nuñez Morera who is also an Honour Swimmer inducted in the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame, Class of 2020.
- 1 Open Water Swimming Highlights
- 2 2019 FINA UltraMarathon Swim Series Top 6 Rankings
- 3 FINA Open Water Swimming Grand Prix
- 4 2013 FINA Open Water Swimming Grand Prix Rankings
- 5 2012 FINA Open Water Swimming Grand Prix Rankings
- 6 Videos
- 7 2017 Maratón Acuática Internacional Santa Fe - Coronda
- 8 2008 Beijing Olympic Games Men's Results
- 9 Damián Blaum Crossing Río de la Plata
- 10 2021 World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year Nomination
- 11 External Sites
Open Water Swimming Highlights
- Blaum has won a total of 31 medals (5 gold + 10 silver + 31 bronze) in FINA international professional marathon swimming competitions over the course of his career.
- Blaum won the 2003 30 km Swimming Marathon of the Messinian Gulf between Kalamata and Koroni in Greece.
- Blaum participated in the 2011 FINA World Championships in in Shanghai, China.
- He is consistently one of the top marathon swimmers in the world on the FINA Open Water Swimming Grand Prix including top finishes in the 32 km Traversée internationale du lac St-Jean and the 57 km Maratón Acuática Internacional Santa Fe - Coronda.
- Blaum won the 2013 6.5 km Marnaton eDreams Cadaqués in Cadaqués, Spain.
- Blaum finished second overall in the 2015 30 km Rio Negro Challenge Amazonia marathon swim in the largest left tributary of theAmazon River from Iranduba to Manaus in northern Brasil.
- Blaum was the handler for fellow professional marathon swimmer Trent Grimsey on his 6 hour 55 minute world record swim across the English Channel on 8 September 2012.
- Blaum won the 50th edition of the 2015 Maratona del Golfo Capri-Napoli in Italy as part of the FINA Open Water Swimming Grand Prix.
- Blaum finished second in the 2016 Maratona del Golfo Capri-Napoli.
- Blaum won the 2017 57 km Maratón Acuática Internacional Santa Fe - Coronda in his native Argentina on his 14th attempt in 8 hours 26 minutes.
- Blaum finished fifth in the 63rd Traversée internationale du lac St-Jean in Roberval, Quebec, Canada
- Blaum finished third overall in the 2017 FINA Open Water Swimming Grand Prix professional marathon swimming circuit.
- On 14 February 2018, he attempted to cross the Río de la Plata between Uruguay and Argentina, but stopped after 21.1 km and 4 hours 5 minutes.
- On 17 February 2018, he completed his second crossing attempt of the 42 km across Río de la Plata between Colonia Del Sacramento in Uruguay and Punta Lara in Argentina, finishing in 9 hours 6 minutes.
- On 11 March 2018, he won the 21 km Maraton Villa Urquiza Paraná in Argentina.
- Blaum finished 9th in the 32 km Traversée internationale du lac St-Jean in Lac St-Jean, Quebec, Canada in 7:40:49.40 on 28 July 2018.
- Blaum finished 8th in the 15 km Maraton Acuática Ciudad de Rosario in Argentina on 9 February 2019, second stop on the FINA UltraMarathon Swim Series in Rosario, Argentina.
- On 31 August 2019, he finished 6th in the 20 km FINA UltraMarathon Swim Series in Novi, Croatia in 4:19:53.
- He is an inductee (Honour Swimmer) in the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame, Class of 2020.
- He finished 4th in the 2019 FINA UltraMarathon Swim Series.
- He created the 24-hour, 8-week Spanish-language Jornadas de Formación en Aguas Abiertas with Damián Blaum, an online education program covering open water swimming.
- On May 2022, he set the record on the 16 km Ilha Grande course in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in 4 hours 12 minutes 16 seconds.
2019 FINA UltraMarathon Swim Series Top 6 Rankings
1. Evgenij Pop Acev (North Macedonia) 356 points
2. Edoardo Stochino (Italy) 348 points
3. Francesco Ghettini (Italy) 312 points
4. Damián Blaum (Argentina) 303 points
5. Matias Diaz Hernandez (Argentina) 285 points
6. Aquiles Balaudo (Argentina) 253 points
FINA Open Water Swimming Grand Prix
Blaum has been the runner-up in the FINA Open Water Swimming Grand Prix professional circuit four times (2007, 2009, 2010, and 2012) and won the overall title in 2013. His victory in 2013 led to a nomination for the 2013 World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year.
2013 FINA Open Water Swimming Grand Prix Rankings
2012 FINA Open Water Swimming Grand Prix Rankings
1. Trent Grimsey (AUS) 95 points in 5 races
2. Damián Blaum (ARG) 71 points in 7 races
3. Andrea Volpini (ITA) 45 points in 7 races
4. Evgenij Pop Acev (MKD) 45 points in 6 races
5. Edoardo Stochino (ITA) 37 points in 5 races
6. Guillermo Bertola (ARG) 27 points in 4 races
7. Anton Pilipas (RUS) 14 points in 4 races
2017 Maratón Acuática Internacional Santa Fe - Coronda
2008 Beijing Olympic Games Men's Results
Gold: Maarten van der Weijden (Netherlands) 1:51:51.6
Silver: David Davies (Great Britain) 1:51:53.1
Bronze: Thomas Lurz (Germany) 1:51:53.6
4. Valerio Cleri (Italy) 1:52:07.5
5. Evgeny Drattsev (Russia) 1:52:08.9
6. Petar Stoychev (Bulgaria) 1:52:09.1
7. Brian Ryckeman (Belgium) 1:52:10.7
8. Mark Warkentin (United States) 1:52:13.0
9. Chad Ho (South Africa) 1:52:13.1
10. Erwin Leon Maldonado Savera (Venezuela) 1:52:13.6
11. Ky Hurst (Australia) 1:52:13.7
12. Igor Chervynskiy (Ukraine) 1:52:14.7
13. Francisco Jose Hervas (Spain) 1:52:16.
14. Allan do Carmo (Brazil) 1:52:16.6
15. Gilles Rondy (France) 1:52:16.7
16. Spyridon Gianniotis (Greece) 1:52:20.4
17. Rostislav Vitek (Czech Republic) 1:52:41.8
18. Luis Escobar (Mexico) 1:53:47.9
19. Saleh Mohammad (Syria) 1:54:37.7
20. Mohamed Elzanaty (Egypt) 1:55:17.0
21. Damian Blaum (Argentina) 1:55:48.6
22. Arseniy Lavrentyev (Portugal) 2:03:39.6
23. Xin Tong (China 2:09:13.4
Csaba Gercsak (Hungary) DNF
Vladimir Dyatchin (Russia) DSQ
Damián Blaum Crossing Río de la Plata
On 17 February 2018, Damián Blaum completed his second crossing attempt of the 42 km across Río de la Plata between Colonia Del Sacramento in Uruguay and Punta Lara in Argentina, finishing in 9 hours 6 minutes.
2021 World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year Nomination
Winner: Paul Georgescu (Romania)
First Runner-up: Neil Agius (Malta)
Second Runner-up: Joel Matos Ortiz (Puerto Rico)
4. Josef Köberl (Austria)
5. Dr. Jaiprakash Duble (India)
6. Pablo Fernández Álvarez (Spain)
7. Stève “Seal” Stievenart (France)
8. Simon Griffiths (Great Britain)
9. Bogusław Ogrodnik (Poland)
10. Joseph Zemaitis (USA)
11. Damián Blaum (Argentina)
12. Florian Wellbrock (Germany)
13. Stéphane Lecat (France)
14. Kristóf Rasovszky (Hungary)
15. Andre Slade (Australia)
- Marcelo Figuerinho Blazes A Fast Ilha Grande Circumnavigation Swim
- Morgane Dornic, Edoardo Stochino Win Traversée Internationale du Lac St-Jean – UltraMarathon Swim Series
- Rita Vanesa Garcia Takes Bronze at Traversée Internationale du Lac St-Jean
- Pros on the Podium – Men
- Pros on the Podium – Women
- Paul Georgescu is a WOWSA Award Winner: 2021 World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year
- Alessio Occhipinti Wins 56th Maratona del Golfo Capri-Napoli
- Capri-Napoli: The Tradition Continues With Axel Reymond and Caroline Jouisse As The Race Favorites
- Swimming In Costa Brava
- 2020 International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame Induction Virtual Ceremonies
- The Five Dimensions Of Expecting The Unexpected In The Open Water
- Celebrating Champions, Honoring Heroes At The Virtual Class Of 2020 IMSHOF Induction & Awards Ceremony
- Marathon Swimming Heroes In Memoriam
- Jornadas de Formación en Aguas Abiertas with Damián Blaum
- Gabriel Chaillou Honored By The International Marathon Swimming Hall Of Fame
- Damian Blaum
- Alex Meyer Goes Left, Then Right, Then Left To Win A World Championships
- Luciano Cotena Talks About Capri-Napoli On WOWSA Live
- Vojislav Mijić Talks About Swimming With A Full Heart On WOWSA Live
- Damián Blaum Talks About Racing Around The World On WOWSA Live
- Pilar Geijo Talks About Her Long Career On WOWSA Live
- Vojislav Mijić Talks About Swimming With A Full Heart On WOWSA Live
- Marathon Swimming Hall Of Famers At The Olympics
- Esther Nuñez Morera Honored By International Swimming Hall Of Fame
- Damián Blaum Honored By International Swimming Hall Of Fame
- Open Water Swimming
- Damian Blaum Travels World
- Swift Swimming in Sabac
- Battle of South American Titans
- Fabulously Fine Fina Festivities
- A Day in the Life of Professional Marathon Swimming
- Grand Prix Rosario
- Clash of the Titans in 25K World Champs
- 6:55...Trent Grimsey Breaks Hallowed English Channel Record
- When Love And Open Water Swimming Mix
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming Water
- FINA Open Water Swimming Grand Prix Ranking 2012
- Helping Others, Proyecto Uno por Uno, Uno más Uno
- Simone Ercoli Closes Fast To Win Santa Fe-Coronda
- It Will Be A Match Of Brains And Brawn In Cozumel
- Synchronicity In The Open Water
- World Professional Marathon Swimming Federation
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Live Broadcast Live Webcast of the Traversée Internationale Du Lac St-Jean
- It Is Going To Be An Adventure
- Festivities Of Traversée du lac Memphrémagog Begin
- Richard Weinberger And Martina Grimaldi Headline Traversée
- Billy O'Connor Crosses Where There's A Big Expanse Of Water
- Endurance Adventure Management
- All Kinds Of Races At Traversée du lac Memphrémagog
- Strategies At The Traversée du lac Memphrémagog
- The Most Unique Married Couple, Blaum And Nuñez
- 1 + 1 > 2 In The Open Water Swimming World
- Damián Blaum Swims To The Top Of The World
- Olga Kozydub Wins FINA Open Water Swimming Grand Prix
- Swim4Good Crosses The Strait Of Gibraltar
- Husband, Wife Couple Up At Marnaton eDreams Cadaqués
- Damián Blaum Rising To The Top, But Not Alone
- 2013 World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year Nominees
- Navigating With The First Couple Of Open Water Swimming
- Who Will Top Maratón Acuática Santa Fe - Coronda in 2014?
- Fluir Natacion Magazine cover
- Damián Blaum Smiles On His Way To Work
- Rosario Race Goes Back To The Future
- Second Leg Of La Copa Grand Prix Quini 6
- Streamlined Optimal Breathing In The Open Water
- Lucky Sevens In Rosario
- Petar Stoychev On The Opposite End Of The Stick
- Fabiana Lamberti Wins Maratón Acuático de Rosario
- Simone Ercoli Leads 3 Amigos In Rosario
- Italian Polizia Go 1-2-3 In Rosario's Maratón Acuática
- It's Where I Am Home
- Maurer vs. Rybárová vs. Geijo in Playa del Carmen
- Simone Ercoli vs. Ivan Afanevich, Round 3
- It Is The Little Details In Open Water Swimming
- Vías Bravas, Something To Smile And Swim About
- The Power To Believe By Karina Fassi
- 2014 Capri-Napoli
- What To Expect In Rio's 2016 Olympic 10K Marathon Swim
- How Was It? In Spanish, Italian, German, English
- Marcelo Micocci Manages A Massive Marathon
- Happy Wife, Happy Open Water Life
- Betina Lorscheitter, Matheus Evangelista Win In Amazonia
- Damián Blaum, Alice Franco Win 50th Capri-Napoli
- After 101 km, Stefanovski And Stochino Tie
- Evgenij Pop Acev Turns Tables On Damián Blaum
- Crowdfunding A Catalina Crossing With Samir Barel
- Samir Barel Completes Tríplice Coroa (Triple Crown)
- Damián Blaum Swims To A Dream Come True
- Breakfast With Champions From Argentina
- Guillermo Bertola Wins, Sets Record In Lac St-Jean
- Evgenij Pop Acev, Guillermo Bertola Win FINA Grand Prix
- Defending Champions, Damián Blaum & Barbara Pozzobón
- Damián Blaum En Route To Cross Río de la Plata
- Damián Blaum Successfully Crosses Río de La Plata
- Damián Blaum Crossing Río de la Plata
- The Longevity Of Damián Blaum
- Crossing Río de la Plata
- Damián Blaum Crossing Río de la Plata
- [http//www.openwaterswimming.com/ Daily News of Open Water Swimming]
- Lifesavers From Thailand To St. Kilda
- Lucas Rivet And Fernando Ciaramella From Coast To Coast
- Lucas Rivet Crosses Between Argentina And Uruguay
- All In The Family