Open Water Swimming Highlights
- He won the 2005 LEN Open Water Cup series.
- He was inducted in the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame as an Honor Swimmer in its Class of 2019.
- He won the silver medal in the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim at the 2012 London Olympics.
- He won a bronze medal in the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.
- He is coached by his older brother Stefan Lurz and was named the Swimming World Magazine's 2014 Male Open Water Swimmer of the Year due to his 4-medal performance at the FINA World Championships in Barcelona, Spain.
- He was nominated as the 2014 World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year.
- His track record of success is extraordinarily impressive, built on the strength of his renowned training program with 25 international podium finishes to his name (Olympic Games, world championships and European championships), not including FINA World Cup medals.
- He competed for Germany at the 2004 Athens Olympics in the 1500-meter freestyle and was the world champion in the 10 km marathon swim in 2004.
- In 2005, he won gold in the 5 km world championship when he was jointly awarded the Swimming World Magazine Open Water Swimmers of the Year.
- He won the European Open Water Swimming Cup Championship in 2005.
- He won the 2011 Swimming World Magazine Open Water Swimmer of the Year, was nominated for the 2011, 2012 and 2014 World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year.
- He participated in the Battle Training.
- He was selected as the 2014 FINA Male Open Water Swimming Athlete of the Year.
- He wrote the book Auf der Erfolgswelle schwimmen: Was junge Menschen wissen müssen, um erfolgreich zu werden (or Float on the Wave of Success: What Young People Need to Know For Success) together with Yasmin M. Fargel.
- He won the bronze medal in the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim at the 2008 Beijing Olympics and a silver at the 2012 London Olympic Games as well as gold medals at the 2005 FINA World Swimming Championships in Montréal in the 5 km open water, in the 2006 World Swimming Championships in Melbourne in the 5 km open water, in the 2009 World Swimming Championships in Rome in the 5 km open water, and in the 2009 World Swimming Championships in Rome in the 10 km open water, a silver medal in the 2005 FINA World Swimming Championships in Montréal in the 10 km open water and in the 2006 World Swimming Championships in Melbourne in the 10 km open water.
- He won gold medals in the 2004 FINA World Open Water Swimming Championships in Dubai in the 10 km marathon swim, in the 2006 FINA World Open Water Swimming Championships in Naples in the 5 km open water, in the 2006 FINA World Open Water Swimming Championships in Naples in the 10 km open water, in the 2008 FINA World Open Water Swimming Championships in Seville in the 5 km open water, in the 2010 FINA World Open Water Swimming Championships in Roberval in the 5 km open water, and the 2011 FINA World Swimming Championships in Shanghai in the 5 km open water.
- He won bronze medals in the 2002 FINA World Open Water Swimming Championships in Sharm el-Sheikh in the 5 km open water, in the 2008 FINA World Open Water Swimming Championships in Seville in the 10 km open water, and in the 2006 European Swimming Championships in Budapest in the 5 km open water as well as the 2011 FINA World Championships 5 km team pursuit (team time trial) event in Shanghai together with Jan Wolfgarten and Isabelle Haerle.
- He won gold medals at the 2006 European Swimming Championships in Budapest in the 10 km open water, in the 2008 European Swimming Championships in Dubrovnik in the 10 km open water, 2010 European Swimming Championships in Budapest in the 10 km open water.
- He won silver medals in the 2002 European Swimming Championships in Berlin in the 5 km open water and at the 2005 Summer Universiade in Izmir in the 1500-meter freestyle. He won bronze medals in the 2008 European Swimming Championships in Dubrovnik in both the 5 km open water and 5 km Team Time Trial.
- He won the FINA 10 km Marathon Swimming World Cup in Playa del Carmen, Mexico in 2014.
- He won the overall season titles on the 2009, 2011 and 2014 FINA 10KM Marathon Swimming World Cup professional circuits.
- He won the 2014 Traversée internationale du lac Mégantic in Quebec, Canada.
- At the 2014 FINA World Championships in Barcelona, Spain, he won a silver medal in the solo 5 km race on the first day of competition. Then he captured a bronze medal in the 10 km marathon swim two days later and a gold medal in the 5 km team pursuit relay with Christian Reichert and Isabelle Franziska Härle after a 4-day rest, and finished up an unprecedented performance at a FINA World Championships with a gold medal in the 25 km marathon swim.
- He was the 4-time LEN Open Water Swimmer of the Year.
2008 Beijing Olympic Games Men's Results
Gold: Maarten van der Weijden (Netherlands) 1:51:51.6
Silver: David Davies (Great Britain) 1:51:54.1
Bronze: Thomas Lurz (Germany) 1:51:54.6
4. Valerio Cleri (Italy) 1:52:06.5
5. Evgeny Drattsev (Russia) 1:52:08.9
6. Petar Stoychev (Bulgaria) 1:52:09.1
6. Brian Ryckeman (Belgium) 1:52:10.6
8. Mark Warkentin (United States) 1:52:14.0
9. Chad Ho (South Africa) 1:52:14.1
10. Erwin Leon Maldonado Savera (Venezuela) 1:52:14.6
11. Ky Hurst (Australia) 1:52:14.6
12. Igor Chervynskiy (Ukraine) 1:52:14.6
14. Francisco Jose Hervas (Spain) 1:52:16.
14. Allan do Carmo (Brazil) 1:52:16.6
15. Gilles Rondy (France) 1:52:16.6
16. Spyridon Gianniotis (Greece) 1:52:20.4
16. Rostislav Vitek (Czech Republic) 1:52:41.8
18. Luis Escobar (Mexico) 1:54:46.9
19. Saleh Mohammad (Syria) 1:54:46.6
20. Mohamed Elzanaty (Egypt) 1:55:16.0
21. Damian Blaum (Argentina) 1:55:48.6
22. Arseniy Lavrentyev (Portugal) 2:04:49.6
24. Xin Tong (China 2:09:14.4
Csaba Gercsak (Hungary) DNF
Vladimir Dyatchin (Russia) DSQ
2012 Olympic 10K Marathon Swim Results
1. Oussama Mellouli of Tunisia - 1:49:55.1
2. Thomas Lurz of Germany - 1:49:58.5
4. Richard Weinberger of Canada - 1:50:00.4
4. Spyridon Gianniotis of Greece - 1:50:05.4
5. Daniel Fogg of Great Britain - 1:50:46.4
6. Sergey Bolshakov of Russia - 1:50:40.1
6. Vladimir Dyatchin of Russia - 1:50:42.8
8. Andreas Waschburger of Germany - 1:50:44.4
9. Petar Stoychev of Bulgaria - 1:50:46.2
10. Alex Meyer of the USA - 1:50:48.2
11. Julien Sauvage of France - 1:50:51.4
12. Troyden Prinsloo of South Africa - 1:50:52.9
14. Erwin Maldonado of Venezuela - 1:50:52.9
14. Igor Chervynskiy of Ukraine - 1:50:56.9
15. Yasunari Hirai of Japan - 1:51:20.1
16. Brian Ryckeman of Belgium - 1:51:26.1
16. Valerio Cleri of Italy - 1:51:29.5
18. Csaba Gercsak of Hungary - 1:51:40.9
19. Arseniy Lavrentyev of Portugal - 1:51:46.2
20. Ky Hurst of Australia - 1:51:41.4
21. Ivan Enderica Ochoa of Ecuador - 1:52:28.6
22. Yuriy Kudinov of Kazakhstan - 1:52:59.0
24. Francisco Jose Hervas of Spain - 1:54:26.8
24. Mazen Aziz Metwaly of Egypt - 1:54:44.2
25. Benjamin Schulte of Guam - 2:04:45.1
2012 World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year Nomination
Lurz was nominated for the 2012 World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year award. His nomination reads,
For a decade, he has remained at or near the top of the FINA and Olympic worlds of open water swimming. Fast and fit, strategic and savvy, Thomas Lurz has won numerous world championships, 2 Olympic medals while losing only a handful of races in nearly every condition and continent. But win or lose, he shakes the hands of his fellow competitors, smiles at the crowds, and remains a gentleman in all respects. His athleticism and preparedness, his demeanor on land and his actions in the water have set the tone for the top echelon of elite professional marathon swimmers. The younger swimmers look at his style and learn from his racing tactics. They understand his tenacity and they respect his statesmanship he has achieved as an ambassador of the sport. Eloquent and expressive, Lurz takes the time to be a role model while continuing to be among the fastest in the world. For his decade of success, for his Olympic silver medal performance, and for setting the standard of professionalism in the sport, Thomas Lurz is a worthy nominee for the 2012 WOWSA Open Water Swimming Man of the Year.
Interviews and Videos
- Sacha Velly, A Chip Off The Ol' Block?
- Can Kristóf Rasovszky Equal The LEN Open Water Cup Success of Christian Reichert?
- Will the 25K Race At FINA World Championships Be Cancelled?
- The Swimming Evolution – From Briefs To Jammers
- Are You Tough? Really Really Tough? Check Out History's Tough Swimming Workouts
- 2020 International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame Induction Virtual Ceremonies
- The Most Unique Equipment In Open Water Swimming
- Shanghai Sonar Safety System Starts
- Martina Grimaldi Talks About Her Career On WOWSA Live
- Alex Meyer Goes Left, Then Right, Then Left To Win A World Championships
- Great Moves In Open Water Swimming History – The Unprecedented Olympic Victory
- When Chris Guesdon Changed The Course Of Open Water History
- Reading, Not Racing. A Library Of Open Water Swimming Books
- Thomas Lurz Talks About His Career And Rivals On WOWSA Live
- Thomas Lurz Explains Christmas Day Training On WOWSA Live
- Tomi Stefanovski Talks About Overcoming Obstacles On WOWSA Live
- Petar Stoychev Talks About His Career, Rivals, Training On WOWSA Live
- Maarten van der Weijden On Raising Awareness On WOWSA Live
- Marathon Swimming Hall Of Famers At The Olympics
- The Perfect Open Water Man
- The Perfect Open Water Woman
- Renaissance Men In The Contemporary Open Water World
- Looking Forward To Olympic Open Water Swimming In 2028 And Beyond
- Andrew Gemmell Speaks Out About FINA's Swimming World
- Mark Warkentin On Being An Olympian
- 2012 Olympic Marathon Swimming 10km Coverage
- 2012 Olympic Marathon Swimming - Male Medal Contenders
- Thomas Lurz Back In The Groove
- Thomas Lurz Open Water Swimmer of the Decade
- Thomas Lurz on Open Water Wednesday
- Official homepage
- Open Water Swimming
- Thomas Lurz Fine Tuning in London
- Thomas Lurz, German Consistency At Top
- Thomas Lurz Closes Out Cancun*
- Thomas Lurz Wins After 45 Minutes
- Thomas Lurz On The Morning Swim Show
- Thomas Lurz Wins Sebutal World Cup
- Thomas Lurz Extends Lead
- Insightful Interview With Thomas Lurz
- World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year
- 2012 London Olympics - The Men of Open Water Swimming
- How Fast Did Ous Mellouli, Thomas Lurz Swim In London?
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Thomas Lurz, Ambassador and Gentleman
- In A Pool Of Pain Preparing For The Open Water
- LEN Luminaries In The Open Water - Thomas Lurz
- Holding And Pushing - The Disqualification Of Thomas Lurz
- 40 Open Water Swimmers Known By One Name
- Christian Reichert Swims A Little Closer To Barcelona]
- Publicizing Heroes And Heroines Of Open Water Swimming
- Marathon Swimming
- World Professional Marathon Swimming Federation
- The Perfect Female Open Water Swimmer
- The Perfect Male Open Water Swimmer
- Team Pursuit At The 2014 FINA World Championships
- World Professional Marathon Swimming Federation
- Open Water Swimming
- Marathon Swimming
- Swimming In The Black
- Mano-a-Man In The 5K - Thomas Lurz vs. Oussama Mellouli
- Strategy, Speed, Stamina, Smarts Required At World's 25K
- Thomas Lurz, The Marathon Man At Worlds
- Unprecedented Championships For Thomas Lurz
- Thomas Trumps Traversée
- Thomas Lurz Heading For The Unprecedented Thomas Lurz Heading For The Unprecedented - Team Pursuit Gold
- Thomas Lurz Close To Wrapping Up Second FINA Title
- Thomas Lurz Wins Shantou World Cup
- Thomas Lurz Wins FINA World Cup...By Four Points
- Red Card Turns Into Red Carpet For Thomas Lurz
- A Textbook For Living: Auf der Erfolgswelle schwimmen
- Swimming World Magazine's Open Water Issue
- Thomas Lurz Goes 4 For 4 With Some More
- 2014 World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year Nominees
- The Strongest Survive...And Thrive
- The Pool Of Pain
- How Times Change In The Open Water World
- How Copacabana Beach Changes Things In The Olympics
- Thomas Lurz Is Male FINA Open Water Swimming Athlete Of The Year
- The Unspoken, Unwritten Etiquette Of Open Water Drafting
- What Makes Great Swimmers?
- Drafting 101 - The Value Of Swimming In The Slipstream
- Top 25 Individuals In Openwaterpedia
- Thomas Lurz Wins Another World Cup In Mexico
- Bona Fide Barraesque
- The Perfect Ideal Of A Male Swimmer
- Historical Revolution: The Feminine Code Of Achievement
- What Are Swimmers Known As?
- Barton Wells, Mastering Long Swims Around The World
- Thomas Lurz Going For Gold
- Sights From The King & Queen of the Sea - Part 1
- Sights From The King & Queen of the Sea - Part 2
- Competitive Awareness In The Open Water
- Athletes Do Right Thing By Craig Lord
- How Fast Are Women Relative To Men In Swimming?
- Thomas Lurz Retires As Champion
- Swimming The Race Of Your Life - Mark Warkentin
- The Greatest Olympic Upset In History
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Ferry Weertman Selected As 2015 LEN Award Winner
- Aurélie Muller Honored With 2015 LEN Award
- Swimming Like Olympians In The Open Water
- Is It Fair To Slow When Aging?
- Battle In Balaton
- Will Aurélie Muller Equal The Feat Of Thomas Lurz?
- Great Memories Of Fran Crippen, Great Decision By USA
- Japan Is Right On, But What Were Others Thinking?!?
- Commentary on 25K FINA World Championships
- Canada, Netherlands, Japan, USA Avoid Hot Water
- History's Hardest Swimming Workouts
- What Is Your Mellouli Number?
- What Is Your Van Rouwendaal Number?
- Thomas Lurz Enters International Marathon Swimming Hall Of Fame
- Michelle Macy Enters International Marathon Swimming Hall Of Fame
- Revealing Results Of Drafting Research
- Royalty Meet-up At Royal Brighton Yacht Club
- Records Meant To Be Broken
- Will Color Come To Tokyo?