Jennifer Nobis Figge
Jennifer Nobis Figge is a transoceanic swimmer from Colorado, USA who has done a number of transoceanic swims across the Atlantic Ocean. She has also successfully crossed the Strait of Gibraltar twice: once on 29 July 2001 in 7 hours 17 minutes and once on 9 September 2002 in 5 hours 30 minutes.
Beginning at the age of 56 years old, Figge also completed a series of stage swims across the Atlantic Ocean in 2009 from Cape Verde off the coast of Africa to Trinidad in the Caribbean Sea over the course of 24 days.
At the age of 60, she completed a 32-day continuous stage swim across the Atlantic Ocean, starting from Brava Island off the coast of Senegal to Antigua in the Caribbean Sea called Atlantic Crossing 4. She swam a total of 133.25 hours, covering 265.4 nautical miles (318 miles or 491 km) while drifting 2,792.9 miles (4,439 km) over the 32-day period.
Atlantic Crossing 4
Her crew consisted of the following on the AC4:
- Jennifer Figge, swimmer
- Tamas Hamor, Captain
- Sara Hajdu, First mate, Chef
- Zoltan Hamor, Engineer
- Zoltan Vad-Horvath, Film maker
- Ewa Gorszczyk, Doctor
- Nick Bilinski, Weather specialist (located in Gran Canaria)
- Alison Margo, Public relation specialist (located in Aspen)
World's 50 Most Adventurous Open Water Women
2016 World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year nomination
Figge was nominated for the 2016 WOWSA Awards, a recognition of outstanding men, women, performances and offerings around the globe sponsored by the World Open Water Swimming Association in the category of the World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year for her Bermuda Triangle Swim. The Bermuda Triangle Swim is a 1,000 nautical mile stage swim from Grand Bahama Island to the West End Point of Bermuda under the escort by Captain Tamas Hamor.
Jennifer Figge has been traversing the Atlantic Ocean since 2008 on a number of successful solo stage swims. She has faced shipwrecks, marine life of all sorts and sizes, monstrous-sized ocean swells, logistical nightmares, and many months out in the open ocean swimming solo. But nothing keeps Figge so alive and so energized as the freedom she feels while swimming across the Atlantic Ocean. The 64-year-old gregarious adventurer set off on an unprecedented solo stage swim in one of the most storied locations on the world's ocean: the Bermuda Triangle where she is swimming 1,000 nautical miles from Grand Bahama Island to Bermuda across a turbulent, mysterious part of the globe. For attempting to swim across the Gulf Stream and against oncoming winds heading into the North Atlantic and into the winter, for continuing to have the mindset, audacity, stamina and skill sets to spend weeks out at sea swimming up to 8 hours per day, for recruiting a hardy team of navigators and support crew to keep her safe against all odds, Jennifer Figge's Bermuda Triangle Swim is a worthy nominee for the 2016 World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year.
- Without Great Solitude, No Serious Work Is Possible
- Sarah Thomas' Lake Powell Marathon Is 2016 World Open Water Swimming Performance Of The Year
- The World's 50 Most Adventurous Open Water Women
- Strait of Gibraltar Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming
- Jennifer Figge Official Website
- Open Water Adventure Of A Lifetime
- Adventure On The High Seas
- Finish Line Of The Atlantic Ocean Crossing
- Jennifer Figge's Stage Across The Atlantic
- How Not To Look Like Shark Bait
- Stage Swimming Across The Atlantic
- Beautiful, Beautiful Magnificent Minuteness In The Open Water
- How Far Did Jennifer Figge Swim Across The Atlantic?
- Kids Can Say The Cutest Things
- Go West When Butter Melts Heading South
- Atlantic Ocean Crossing Attempt
- 2008 World Open Water Swimming Woman of the Year
- AC2100 Update From Somewhere In The Atlantic
- Spot Jennifer Swimming Across The Atlantic
- Ups And Downs Of Ocean Swimming
- Finish Line Of Atlantic Ocean Crossing
- Adventures On The High Seas
- Open Water Adventure Of A Lifetime
- A Dream Of Global Proportions
- A Cause Worth Swimming From Japan To The USA
- Atlantic Crossing 4 - You Can't See Where You're Going
- Unexpected Risks Are Expected In The Open Ocean
- Jennifer Figge And Crew Safely Traverse The Atlantic
- Feeds Across The Atlantic Ocean
- Official Log Of Jennifer Figge's Atlantic Traverse
- Having A Whale Of A Time In The Atlantic Ocean
- Old School Shark Shield
- Stripped Like Sea Snakes For Protection
- The Feeling Of Finishing, From Fatigue To Felicity
- Do You Krave GU Or Maxim?
- How Lynne Cox Impresses The World
- Cu Co, Clear Cure
- Swimming Towards Shark Island
- Getting Carried Away In Atlantic Ocean
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Habits And Idiosyncrasies Of Open Water Swimmers
- Jennifer Figge's Bermuda Triangle Swim
- 2016 WOWSA Awards Nominees
- 2016 World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year Nominees
- 2016 World Open Water Swimming Woman of the Year Nominees
- 2016 World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year Nominees
- 2016 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year Nominees
- Ben Hooper, Jennifer Figge Waiting For Ocean Swims
- Marine Vessels Above And Below Transatlantic Swimmers
- Poustinia...Jennifer Figge Swimming In The Ocean
- What Is Your Perfect Swim?
- What Is Your Least Favorite Open Water Swim?
- Meditation In The Open Water
- Sharks While Swimming
- Swimming On Valentine's Day