Maelstrom Seven Whirlpools
1. Moskstraumen: the strongest and biggest [[whirlpool[[ in the world whose central whirlpool has a diameter of 40–50 meters (130–160 feet) and tides combined with the northerly Norwegian Sea currents and storm-induced flow result in currents up to 10.7 knots (20 km/h; 12 mph).
2. Saltstraumen: a 0.25 km tidal split with the world's fastest whirlpool, up to 400,000,000 cubic metres of seawater forces its way through a 3 km long and 250-meter wide strait every six hours, with water speeds reaching 22 knots (41 km/h; 25 mph). The whirlpool swirls violently off the Norwegian coast, above the Arctic Circle and on the edge of the Lofoten Islands.
3. Corryvreckan (from the Gaelic Coire Bhreacain meaning "cauldron of the speckled seas" or "cauldron of the plaid" and also called the Strait of Corryvreckan: a narrow strait between the islands of Jura and Scarba, in Argyll and Bute, off the west coast of mainland Scotland. It is called the world's third largest whirlpool.
4. Naruto whirlpools: tidal whirlpools in the Naruto Strait, a channel between Naruto in Tokushima and Awaji Island in Hyōgo, Japan, about 1.3 km (0.81 miles) across with tidal difference of up to 1.5m between the Inland Sea and the Pacific Ocean that causes the speed of the water to reach 20 km/h (12 mph), creating vortices up to 20m (66 feet) in diameter.
5. Te Aumiti: a narrow and treacherous stretch of water that separates D'Urville Island at the north end of the South Island of New Zealand from the mainland coast with tidal flows reaching 8 knots (4 m/s).
6. Old Sow: largest tidal whirlpool in the Western Hemisphere that form an area with a diameter of 76 meters that are located off the southwestern shore of Deer Island, New Brunswick, Canada, and off the northeast shore of Moose Island, the principal island of Eastport, Maine.
7. Skookumchuck: the powerful tidal rapids at the mouths of the Kootenay River in Skookumchuck, British Columbia, Canada.
2018 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year Nomination
Maelstrom Seven was nominated for the 2018 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year by the World Open Water Swimming Association:
The Wild Swimming Brothers consistently live up to their name. Non-traditional, out-of-the-box thinkers and doers, the three brothers (Little Brother Jack, Middle Brother Calum, and Big Brother Robbie) do all kinds of wild swimming and have been venturing out to do incredibly risky open water swims in, through and near whirlpools. Similar to marathon swimming’s Oceans Seven and ice swimming’s Ice Sevens, the Hudson Brothers created the Maelstrom Seven. This series of 7 solo swims through, around or near famous whirlpools around the world including Moskstraumen and Saltstraumen in Norway, Corryvreckan in Scotland, Naruto whirlpools in Japan, Te Aumiti in New Zealand, and Old Sow and Skookumchuck in Canada. To date, the brothers have completed swims across the Moskstraumen, Saltstraumen and Corryvreckan and now turn their attention to the Japanese whirlpools of Naruto. For creatively introducing unusual venues to the global open water swimming ecosystem, for developing a new bucket list of swims around the world, and for being such enthusiastic, personable ambassadors of the sport who are developing a unique niche, the Maelstrom Seven by the Wild Swimming Brothers is a worthy nominee for the 2018 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year.
Stuck In A Whirlpool Into The Maelstrom
- What Is Open Water Swimming?
- Nominate Your Favorite Product, Event, Movie Or Book For The 2019 World Open Water Swimming Offering Of The Year
- The Brotherhood Of Hudson River Swimming
- What A Cool Twist...The Bantham Swoosh
- OSS Adventure Series: Lampay Island Circumnavigation
- OSS Adventure Series: The Slingshot
- OSS Adventure Series: Baggy Point
- Goodwill And Good Times
- Wild Swimming, Hudson River Style
- Marathon Swimmer
- Open Water Swimming
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- ROXOA Group's Copywriter Achieves Wild Swimming World First
- Wild Swimming Brothers Take Risks To Live Up To Name
- 2016 WOWSA Awards Nominees
- 2016 World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year Nominees
- 2016 World Open Water Swimming Woman of the Year Nominees
- 2016 World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year Nominees
- 2016 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year Nominees
- Looking At And Swimming Into The Maelstrom
- The Wild Swimming Brothers YouTube Channel
- Wild Swimming Brothers Go Swimming
- Wild Swimming Brothers Live Up To Their Names
- Wild Swimming Brothers On Obanjan Island
- Bullish On Wild Swimming
- Swim Wild With Jack, Calum, Robbie Hudson
- Artwork Inspired By Wild Swimming
- The Maelstrom Seven, A New Challenge