Types of Chafing
There are fundamentally 5 types of Chafing:
1. Skin-on-skin chafing: improper stroke mechanics can cause chafing as can a cross-over kick or breathing.
2. Fabric-on-skin chafing: a swimsuit, goggles, swim cap, protective suit (e.g., stinger suit, or wetsuit can cause some mean chafing.
3. Hair-on-skin chafing: body hair can cause chafing.
4. Beard-on-skin chafing: facial hair can cause chafing.
5. Transponder-on-skin chafing: Velcro or band of transponder can cause chafing around ankle or wrist
The swimmer always used Vaseline to prevent chafing under his arms.
1275–1325; ME chaufen to heat, rub, chafe.