noun - Hair-on-skin chafing is friction, irritation or lacerations in the skin due to repeated rubbing of hair against skin and body parts.
Types of Chafing
There are fundamentally 5 types of chafing:
1. Skin-on-skin chafing: improper stroke mechanics can cause chafing as can a cross-over kick or breathing.
2. Fabric-on-skin chafing: a swimsuit, goggles, swim cap, protective suit (e.g., stinger suit), or wetsuit can cause some mean chafing.
3. Hair-on-skin chafing: body hair can cause chafing.
4. Beard-on-skin chafing: facial hair can cause chafing.
5. Transponder-on-skin chafing: Velcro or band of transponder can cause chafing around ankle or wrist
The swimmer always used Vaseline to prevent chafing on his arms due to his chin rubbing on every breath.
1275–1325; ME chaufen to heat, rub, chafe.