Gulf Of Finland Relay
The Gulf of Finland Relay was a 25 km crossing of the Gulf of Finland by Roman Karkachev, Timur Falomkin, Andrey Zamyslov, and Anton Kutuev that was selected as the 2019 World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year.
On 20 October 2019, the foursome completed a 4-person 25 km relay across the Gulf of Finland from Yelagin Island in St. Petersburg to Kotlin Island together with Timur Falomkin of Tomsk, Andrey Zamyslov of Moscow, and Anton Kutuev of Murmansk in 9 hours 52 minutes 40 seconds in 7°C-9.6°C water.
2019 World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year Nomination
Marathon swims across the Gulf of Finland in the easternmost arm of the Baltic Sea occur in the summer when the water warms up, but four Russian swimmers Roman Karkachev, Timur Falomkin, Andrey Zamyslov and Anton Kutuev decided to challenge themselves to a 25 km relay swim across the Gulf of Finland in late October. The foursome started off with 30-minute legs from Yelagin Island in St. Petersburg to Kotlin Island in the Baltic Sea. The water temperature started at 7°C and never rose above 10°C. Their major challenge was the short recovery time between each leg repeated 7 times without hot tubs and saunas, but they prepared with an onboard doctor of physiology who cleared each swimmer each time. For each swimmer cumulatively swimming 153 minutes each (they swam together the last part of the relay) in very cold water, for accepting a challenge that pushed themselves to their physical limits, and for the genuine camaraderie and ambiance that they enjoyed along their journey, the Gulf Of Finland Relay by Roman Karkachev, Timur Falomkin, Andrey Zamyslov and Anton Kutuev is a worthy nominee for the 2019 World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year.
- WOWSA Awards – World Open Water Swimming Performance Of The Year
- 2019 WOWSA Award Winners Announced
- Travesía Interminable Is 2019 World Open Water Swimming Offering Of The Year
- Gulf Of Finland Relay Is 2019 World Open Water Swimming Performance Of The Year
- Adherbal Treidler de Oliveira Is 2019 World Open Water Swimming Man Of The Year
- Mariel Hawley Dávila Is 2019 World Open Water Swimming Woman of the Year
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming
- Marathon Swimming