Karah Nazor, Ph.D. is an American race director and open water swimmer from Tennessee. Her passion for open water swimming has led her to spend time giving back to the sport and acclimatizing to the cold water. She has swum in places as varied as San Francisco Bay, Tennessee River, Hawaii and the English Channel. She has also studied different open bodies of water and the existing marine life and is also a well-published biology professor. She has swum with all kinds of marine life and is a strong advocate for use of Shark Shields in open water swimming, to protect against the possibility of a shark attack and to protect sharks. An essay "Why the Shark Shield is Good for Sharks and Swimmers" can be found here.
Open Water Swimming Highlights
- She has completed a crossing of the English Channel. She was the first person from Tennessee to complete an English Channel crossing on 13 July 2008 in 12 hours 28 minutes with Channel Swimming Association-certified pilot Eric Hartley of Pathfinder Charters.
- She swam the Pailolo Channel from Maui to Molokai on 13 July 2011 in a time of 4 hours 30 minutes with pilot Jeremy Gooding.
- She is a member of the South End Rowing Club.
- She is the founder of the C.O.W.S. (Chattanooga Open Water Swimmers).
- She is the race director of Swim the Suck, a 10-mile marathon swim in the Tennessee River Gorge in Chattanooga, Tennessee, U.S.A.
- She created the Triple Crown of the Tennessee completed the Triple Crown of the Tennessee in 2017.
- She completed the Swim the Suck 10 Mile Chattanooga, Tennessee on 8 October 2011 in 4 hours 3 minutes, 11th place overall.
- She completed the Swim the Suck 10 Mile Chattanooga, Tennessee on 16 October 2010 in 3 hours 28 minutes, 1st Place Women, 3rd Overall.
- She completed the Santa Barbara 6 Mile Ocean Swim 2009” Santa Barbara, California on 12 July 2009 in 2 hours 41 minutes 45 seconds. 3rd Place Women.
- She completed a Trans Monterey Bay Relay Swim - 23 miles, Monterey, California in August 2008 in 9 hours 27 minutes.
- She completed a 33.5 km English Channel crossing on 13 July 2008 in 12 hours 28 minutes with CSA-certified pilot Eric Hartley of Pathfinder Charters .
- She completed the Bridge to Bridge to Bridge 21 Miler in San Francisco Bay, California in June 2008 from China Camp to Golden Gate Bridge to Bay Bridge in 6 hours.
- She completed the SERC Alcatraz Invitational 2007 in San Francisco, California, 3rd Place Women in 29:42:20.
- She completed the Maui Channel Swim in September 2007.
- She completed aLake Tahoe widthwise crossing in July 2007 in 4 hours 36 minutes - 2nd Place Overall.
- She completed the First Annual Swim Around the Rock, San Francisco, California in June 2006 in 1 hour 19 minutes, Overall Winner.
- She participated in the NCAA Division 1 College Swimming between 1995-1999.
- She finished 2nd in the 2016 15-mile Border Buster in Lake Memphremagog, Vermont.
- In August 2018, she finished 6th in the Mountain Swim Series Cliff Backyard Ultra Swim by completing 12 loops of a 1.5 km course (18 km cumulative total) at 2,425 meters in altitude in Wellington Lake in Bailey, Colorado amid the Rocky Mountains.
Karah Nazor on WOWSA Live
- In WOWSA Live, Nazor explained many aspects of the Shark Shield and her perspective of new proposed Wildlife Protection Best Practices that the global open water swimming community are currently considering.
Swim the Suck Videos
- Stephen Rouch, Sarah Thomas Win Swim The Suck
- Open Water Swimming
- Do You Suffer From Congestion After Swimming?
- Scientist-swimmer Karah Nazor Talks About Her Passions On WOWSA Live
- Swim It And They Will Come
- Triple Crown of the Tennessee
- Karah Nazor Friberg website
- Swim the Suck
- Chattanooga Open Water Swimmers
- Karah Nazor Friberg On The Daily News Of Open Water Swimming
- Karah Nazor Friberg on Open Water Wednesday
- Karah Nazor website
- Open Water Swimming website
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Karah Nazor Friberg bio
- Karah Nazor Friberg's Idyllic Swim In Tennessee
- Penny Palfrey To Swim The Suck
- 101 Movers And Shakers In The Open Water Swimming World
- The Physiology Of Chafing In Salt And Fresh Water
- When C.O.W.S. Host An Open Water Swim
- Gorge On Marathon Swimming At Swim The Suck
- Karah Cares Creatively Along Tennessee River Gorge
- Swim Until The C.O.W.S. Come Home
- Marathon Swimming
- Oldies Are Goodies At The Kingdom Swim
- Touting The Triple Crown Of The Tennessee
- Swimming With COWS From Coast To Coast
- Last To Fail, First To Win