Clark Little is an American ocean photographers, specializing in surf breaks and shore breaks.
Award-winning photographer Little was born in Napa, California in 1968. Two years later, a move to the North Shore of Oahu (Hawaii) dramatically changed his future. In the 1980’s and 1990’s he made his name as a pioneer of surfing at the Waimea Bay shorebreak. Clark had a unique talent for taking off on hopeless closeout shorebreak waves and surviving in one piece.
In 2007, Clark discovered his ability and passion to capture the extraordinary beauty of the shorebreak when his wife asked him for a picture of the ocean to decorate a bedroom wall. With the confidence of an experienced surfer, Clark jumped in the ocean, and started snapping away, recording the beauty and power of Hawaiian waves. "Clark’s view" is a unique and often dangerous perspective of waves from the inside out, captured in photos for all to enjoy from the safety of dry land.
- Clark has gained national and international recognition for his North Shore shorebreak wave photography with appearances on television shows including Good Morning America, Inside Edition, The Today Show, and ABC World News Now.
- His work has been published with National Geographic, New York Times, ESPN, Paris Match, Sierra Magazine, LIFE, BBC News, Stern-View, Geo, Geo International, The Telegraph, Nature’s Best Photography, Nikon World, Rangefinder, Digital SLR Photography, Photo Life, Surfer’s Journal, Surfer Magazine, Outdoor Japan among others.
- His commercial clients include Nikon, Amway, Anheuser-Busch InBev, Hewlett-Packard (HP), Hurley International / Nike, Hyatt Hotels, Lockheed Martin, Verizon among others.
- Little was awarded the 2010 Oceans Photography Award at the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History, Washington DC (May 2011)
- In November 2009, Clark published his 182-page debut art book, The Shorebreak Art of Clark Little.
- In August 2010, Clark opened his first gallery in Laguna Beach, California. A second gallery was open six months later in his hometown of Haleiwa, Hawaii just down the road from many of the North Shore beaches featured in his photography. Click here for gallery hours and contact information.
Awards and Recognition
- Achievements included the 2010 Oceans Photography Award from Nature’s Best Photography: Windland Smith Rice International Awards.
- Two images are on exhibit at Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History in Washington DC from April - September 2011.
- 2011 The Great Outdoors PDN: Beaches, Island and Underwater Category - Winner
- 2011 Maggie Award (Western Publishing Association): Best Series of Editorial Photographs - View from the Vortex (Sierra Magazine)
- 2010 Pele Award for Photography (American Advertising Federation Hawaii): Breaking Point (Kahala Magazine)
- 2009 Photographer of the Year, People's Choice Award : Geo Magazine
- 2009 Photographer of the Year, People's Choice Awards: Discovery Channel / TreeHugger.com
Clark Little At Work In His Office