Vertical Swim Trainer
noun - The Vertical Swim Trainer (United States Patent 8647239 B1) is an invention created and patented by Dr Genadijus Sokolovas that helps pool and open water swimmers, triathletes and pentathletes improve their strength, power, and endurance for swimming. The collapsible apparatus not only strengthens the arms and wrists, as well as providing feedback to the user on optimal hand position and direction of motion, but which additionally strengthens the torso and core muscles used in swimming.
2014 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year Nomination
"The Vertical Swim Trainer is an ingenious, practical solution that can teach open water swimmers to improve their ability to swim more efficiently and powerfully while becoming more balanced and streamlined in the water. Invented by an extraordinary sports scientist and physiologist with numerous patents and inventions to his name, the Vertical Swim Trainer is an upright, portable piece of equipment that quickly provides swimmers with valuable feedback on how to swim better. By placing a swimmer on a movable stand with their hands placed in tethered hand paddles, swimmers immediately feels and understand the fundamental relationship between an optimal hand catch and a high elbow position with a strong core and proper lower body position. For Dr. Genadijus Sokolovas’ patented equipment for swimmers of all ages and abilities, for its impact on improving a swimmer’s efficiency, balance and streamlined position in the water, the Vertical Swim Trainer is a worthy nominee for the 2014 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year."
2014 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year Nominees
- 24 Hour Swim in San Francisco by Suzie Dods (U.S.A.)
- BlueJourney-Amerika Samoa -Stronger Together: The Waterman's Way by Bruckner Chase (U.S.A./Amerika Samoa)
- Step Out Of The Ordinary Blue Letter Campaign by Pádraig Mallon (Ireland)
- Catalina Channel Swimming Federation (U.S.A.)
- Dancing In The Water by Wayne Ewing and Matthew Moseley (U.S.A.)
- L.O.S.T. Swimming (Lake Ontario Swim Team) by Rob Kent (Canada)
- Morrison Report by Evan Morrison for Marathon Swimmers Federation (international)
- Nadandolibre Radio Show - Marcador Show by José Díaz and Alessi Pérez (Spain)
- Ola Vista Photography by Mike Lewis (U.S.A.)
- Rei e Rainha do Mar (King and Queen of the Sea) by Pedro Rego Monteiro (Brazil)
- S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge by Kent Nicholas (U.S.A.)
- The Greatest Englishman by Marathon Films (Great Britain)
- The Torture Swim by 60 Minutes Sports (U.S.A./Ireland)
- The Vertical Swim Trainer by Genadijus Sokolovas (U.S.A./Lithuania)
- Uaimh an tSolais & Uaimh na nÉan by Sam Krohn with Donal Buckley (Australia/Ireland)
Genadijus Sokolovas, Ph.D., also known by his popular nickname in America as Dr G, is considered by many to be one of the world’s most accomplished sports physiologists. He is currently assisting world-class triathletes, pentathletes and pool and open water swimmers at the USA Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Dr. Sokolovas was USA Swimming’s Director of Physiology & Director of Sport Science from 2000 to 2008. He developed several innovative testing programs for USA Swimming Olympic and National Team members including lactate clearance tests, land/water strength tests, biomechanical analysis and training design programs, and the Vertical Swim Trainer. He tested, evaluated and advised USA Swimming National Team and Olympic Team athletes and coaches before and during all major international competitions and Olympic Games between 2000 and 2008, including gold medalists and world record holders Michael Phelps, Natalie Coughlin, Dara Torres, Jenny Thompson, Ryan Lochte, Aaron Peirsol, Brendan Hansen, Ian Crocker, Katie Hoff, Kate Ziegler, Misty Hyman, Amanda Beard, Tara Kirk, Megan Quann-Jendrick, Neil Walker, Gary Hall Jr., Anthony Ervin, Ed Moses, Lenny Krayzelburg, Jason Lezak, Nathan Adrian, Cullen Jones, and more than 2,000 world-class pool and open water swimmers and multi-sport athletes have been tested at over 60 major competitions.
- Vertical Swim Trainer patent
- The Man Who Makes The Science
- Genadijus Sokolovas
- Dr G Stands For Genius
- Measuring And Maximizing Dolphining In The Open Water
- What Are Swimmers Known As?
- 2014 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year Nominees
- 2014 WOWSA Awards Nominees
- Step Out Of The Ordinary Is 2014 World Open Water Swimming Offering Of The Year