noun - Tarzan is a fictional character, an archetypal feral child raised in the African jungles by the Mangani "great apes". He later experiences civilization only to largely reject it and return to the wild as a heroic adventurer.
Created by Edgar Rice Burroughs, Tarzan first appeared in the novel Tarzan of the Apes (magazine publication 1912, book publication 1914), and then in twenty-five sequels, three authorized books by other authors, and innumerable works in other media, authorized and not including movies where Tarzan was played by Johnny Weissmuller.
Johnny Weissmuller is an inductee in the International Swimming Hall of Fame and an Honour Swimmer inducted in the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame in 1970. He remains one of the most iconic celebrity swimmers of all time and appeared in several movies as Tarzan.
Weissmuller was a six-time Olympic (5 gold + 1 bronze) at the 1924 and 1928 Olympic Games. He went undefeated in freestyle events between 1921 and 1929 with his longest swim being the 3.2 km (2 miles) Chicago River Race. In 1970, he accepted an assignment as the International Commissioner of Marathon Swimming and represented the sport of marathon swimming and the World Professional Marathon Swimming Federation.
Weissmuller swam for the Illinois Athletic Club, winning 52 US National Championships and setting 67 world records. He is famously known as an actor, starring as Tarzan of the Apes in 12 films between 1932 and 1948.
Tarzan Movie Clips
- When Paths Cross Among Hall Of Famers
- When Luminaries Meet Across Generations
- International Swimming Hall of Fame website
- International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame website
- Luane Rowe, Rare As A Pink Dolphin
- Are Open Water Swimmers Watermen?
- Speedos Or Board Shorts: Swimmers vs. American Men
- Ryan Cochrane Heads To Ice
- Cheetah Passes Away
- Incorporating Open Water Drills In Pool Workouts
- Johnny Weissmuller's Training Pool
- Duke Was Well Ahead Of His Time
- Olympic Champions Give Back To Swimming Community
- The Cry Of A Champion
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming
- Marathon Swimming
- Great Open Water Swimming Venues In Movies
- Maratón Internacional Acapulco Celebrates 60 Years