Swim Around Lido Key
Swim Around Lido Key is a 7-mile (11.2 km), pilot escorted circumnavigation swim for soloists and duo relay members around the island of Lido Key in Sarasota, Florida. The event is organized by David Miner and Steve Butler of Swim Without Limits, Inc. It is one of the World's Top 100 Island Swims.
Maximum Number of Entrants
The inaugural Swim Around Lido Key was organized on 12 April 2015 and its maximum number of entrants, 103 swimmers, was reached.
At beautiful Lido Key Beach, Sarasota, Florida. The course starts in the Gulf of Mexico on Lido's public beach just north of the Lido Beach Resort Hotel and goes north along the beautiful beaches to New Pass inlet where swimmers pass large waterfront homes and Mote Marine Aquarium up to City Island where they turn right heading west, southwest to Coon Key in the Sarasota Bay waters. Popular Bird Key is on the left as they make their way to Big Pass and the beautiful Lido Park. Exiting Sarasota Bay waters through Big Pass, swimmers turn right and head north in the Gulf along sparkling white sand beaches to the finish line at the Lido Beach Resort Hotel.
About Lido Key
A gorgeous barrier island adjacent to Sarasota, Lido Key boasts some of Sarasota’s most beautiful beaches.
Swimmers must be able to complete the swim in under 6 hours. This means if there is ZERO current, swimmers should be able to swim 1 open water mile in about 45 minutes. The race will follow the English Channel swimming rules. This means no swimsuits below the knees or shoulders. No suits that provide any type of buoyancy. No wetsuits. No other swimming aids. No hanging onto your pilot's boat. No touching other people.
Two-person relay teams can swap swimmers at any time during the race and as many times as they want during the race.
US$200 per solo swimmer and US$200 per 2-person relay team
Sarasota, Florida was the site of the 2017 USMS Marathon Distance Open Water National Championship on 22 April 2017
- Serbo Simeoni Describes His Swims And Transformation On WOWSA Live
- 2017 USMS Open Water & ePostal Championships
- Swim Around Lido Key Facebook page
- Circumnavigation Swim Around Lido Key
- Herald Tribune on Swim Around Lido Key
- Racing Ricardo Is Rough
- The Tides Were In Our Favor
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming
- Marathon Swimming
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- World Marathon Swimming Association
- Swim Without Limits Around Islands
- Red Flag Goes Up, Swim Around Lido Key Cancelled
- Epic V5: The Go-To Support Craft for Paddlers And Marathon Swimmers
- López Longs For Longer, More Challenging Swims
- Bob García, Training Intensely, Feeling Young