The Seine (French: La Seine) is a river and an important commercial waterway within the Paris Basin in the north of France. It flows through Paris and into the English Channel at Le Havre (and Honfleur on the left bank). It is navigable by ocean-going vessels as far as Rouen, 120 km (75 mi) from the sea. Over 60% of its length, as far as Burgundy, is negotiable by commercial riverboats and nearly its whole length is available for recreational boating; excursion boats offer sightseeing tours of the Rive Droite and Rive Gauche within the city of Paris.
Open Water Swimming
It was site of the open water swimming competitions at the 1900 Paris Olympic Games.
Locations of Olympic Swimming Events in the Open Water
In the modern Olympic Games, swimming events were held in open bodies of water that included the following:
- 1896 Athens Olympics (Games of the I Olympiad): Bay of Zea off the Piraeus coast, Aegean Sea, Greece
- 1900 Paris Olympics (Games of the III Olympiad): Seine River, Paris, France
- 1904 St. Louis Olympics (Games of the III Olympiad): Man-made pond near Skinker and Wydown Boulevards, St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.A.
- 1906 Athens Intercalated Games: Neo Phaliron Bay off the coast of Athens, Greece
- 2008 Beijing Olympics (Games of the XXIX Olympiad): Shunyi Olympic Rowing-Canoeing Park (顺义奥林匹克水上公园 or 順義奧林匹克水上公園 in Chinese), outside Beijing, China
- 2012 London Olympics (Games of the XXX Olympiad): Serpentine, London, UK
- 2016 Rio Olympics (Games of the XXXI Olympiad): Copacabana Beach, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 2020 Tokyo Olympics (Games of the XXXII Olympiad): Odaiba Marine Park in Tokyo Bay, Japan
- Marathon Swimmers Can Show Off The Beauty Of Southern California At The 2028 Los Angeles Olympics
- Open Water Swimming History At The Olympics
- Harry Hinken Proved Nothing Great Is Easy
- Looking Forward To Olympic Open Water Swimming In 2028 And Beyond
- Living Out Of A Swimsuit And Suitcase, Traveling With Held
- What Goes Around, Comes Around: The Waterman's Way
- Olympic 10K Marathon Swimming
- Boston Throws Swim Cap Into 2014 Olympic Ring
- Greek Olympic Déjà Vu In The Open Water
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming
- If Paris Wins The 2014 Summer Olympics
- Deciding On The 2024 Olympics: Seine Or Santa Monica?
- Long Beach Wins LA Olympic Marathon Swimming Bid
- Using The Eiffel Tower As An Olympic Landmark
- France's Macron vs Los Angeles' Garcetti In An Olympic Sprint
- France's Macron versus Los Angeles' Garcetti, Part 2
- Freestyling Around Fuji-san
- Swimming In The 1870's In Paris