Dr. Sean Gottschalk is an Emergency Medicine Practitioner at Mediclinic who was previously an Honorary Lec Lecturer of the Department of Emergency Medicine at the University of Cape Town and an A&E Consultant at NHS. His nickname is Doctor Ice.
Open Water Swimming
- He is the medical officer for the Atlantic Dash open water swim, the Lighthouse to Big Bay Swim, and the Deep Blue Invitational Swim in South Africa.
- He is the medical officer for the International Ice Swimming Association and the South African Ice Swimming Championships in Lesotho, a high-altitude swim at 10,000-feet
- He accompanied Lewis Pugh on his 1 km swim in Lake Pumori in 2°C water at 5,200 meters (17,060 feet) on Mount Everest's Khumbu Glacier in 2010.
- He joined South African Madswimmers Jean Craven, Juandre Human, [Milton Brest]], Evan Feldman, Chris Marthinusen, Herman van der Westhuizen, Robert Graaff, and Juandre Human on their high-altitude swim in the Andes Mountains in December 2015 at 5,909 m (19,386 feet) above sea level. The Ojos swim is part 1 of 2 of the Hi/Low Swim Challenge: Ojos will be the highest swim and the Dead Sea from Jordan to Israel will be the lowest open water swim in the following year.
- He will serve as the physician and Team Leader with Ram Barkai on the Antarctica Off The Beaten Track Expedition (the Antarctica Ice Kilometer Swim) on 23-25 November 2018.
- He served as the chief physician for the Great Shark Swim, a planned 100 km charity swim organised by Madswimmer in the Agulhas Current along the KwaZulu Natal Coast in South Africa. The team stopped after 28.24 km and 9 hours 3 minutes due to stings by blue bottles on 2 December 2017.
- He gave a presentation on Recovery in Ice Swimming as the International Ice Swimming Association Medical Forum Chairman at the IISA 3rd World Championship in Murmansk, Russia.
- He is a member of the East London Open Water Swimming Obsessives who will attempt a 22 km open water swim in the Wild Coast down the Bushman's River and Kariega River which border Kenton on Sea in South Africa in June 2019.
South African Ice Swimming Championships
Mount Ojos del Salado Swim
The Highest Swim
Madswimmers doing high-altitude swimming at 5909m (19,386 feet) in a frozen lake on Mt Tres Cruces, a volcano in the Andes Mountains along the Argentina - Chile border in South America with the water temperature between 0.5 - 2ºC (32.9ºF - 35.6ºC). Jean Craven, Herman van der Westhuizen and Chris Marthinusen completed the 5-minute neoprened wild swim while Evan Feldman and Milton Brest swam in wetsuits and Robert Graaff and Juandre Human were unable to partake in the final swim due to medical restraints after a 6-hour hike up the volcano and a laborious creating of the small area to swim through the 20 cm thick ice covering.
Antarctica Ice Kilometer Swim
Heading through the Southern Ocean en route to Antarctica to the Antarctica Ice Kilometer Swim
33-year-old Samantha Whelpton of South Africa successfully competes in the Antarctica Ice Kilometer Swim held on 23 November 2018 in Port Lockroy along the Antarctic Peninsula together with 41-year-old Alexander Brylin of Russia, 55-year-old Yunfeng Wang of China, 44-year-old Leszek Naziemiec of Poland, 52-year-old Paolo Chiarino of Italy, 54-year-old Andrey Agarkov of Russia, and 51-year-old Sergio Salomone of Argentina.
45-year-old Clinton Le Sueur of South Africa, 37-year-old Diego López Dominguez of Spain, 42-year-old Wyatt Song of Australia, 42-year-old Petar Stoychev of Bulgaria, 25-year-old Victoria Mori of Argentina, 46-year-old Madswimmer founder Jean Craven of South Africa, and the 61-year-old International Ice Swimming Association founder Ram Barkai of South Africa completed the Antarctica Ice Kilometer Swim in Mikkelsen Bay in the Southern Ocean along the Antarctic Peninsula on 25 November 2018.
- Ram In Redondo: Barkai On The Beauty Of The Ice
- Hiking And Acclimating To The Big Swim
- The Highest Open Water Swim In History
- How Are High-Altitude Swims Defined?
- 2015 World Open Water Swimming Offering Of The Year Nominees
- Swimming On Top Of The World's Highest Volcano
- 2015 WOWSA Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year Voting
- The Highest Open Water Swim In History
- The Big Swim At 5,909m Is Tomorrow
- Coastal Challenge
- Sean Gottschalk LinkedIn bio
- Mad Swimmer
- Madswimmers Have High Goals In Ojos Swim
- Madswimmers On High
- Madswimmers Complete The Highest Swim In History
- 10 x 10 Possibility: Milnerton Lighthouse to Big Bay Swim
- Ram Barkai Going High And Getting Cold In Lesotho
- International Ice Swimming Association
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- High-Altitude Ice Kilometer Race In Lesotho
- Antarctica, Site Of The Off The Beaten Track Expedition
- The Great Shark Swim Reaches Its Limit
- Swimming With Sharks
- Uncertainty In The Unknown
- Ibiza Swim And Bazaruto Swim By Madswimmer
- Great Shark Swim Stopped By Blue Bottles
- Swimming At The Bottom Of The Earth
- 1000 Meters In -1.4°C At The Bottom Of Earth
- Watch The 2018 Antarctica Ice Kilometer Swim
- Antarctica Ice Swimming Adventure By Ram Barkai