Robert Strauss is a coach and director for Swim Gym. He competed in the 1971 Pan American Games and the 1972 Munich Olympic Games for his native Mexico.
Coaching Career Highlights
- After retirement from pool competition, he has taught swimming and coached both swimming and water polo in southern Florida since 1973.
- By 2011 more than 45,000 students, 80% non-swimmers when they first started their lessons, have become safer, and competent in the pool and in the ocean. Coach Strauss’ experience is clearly reflected by every teacher trained with swim gym innovative cutting edge techniques; everyone has the passion and excitement required in a program in which the progress of every participant is measurable.
Open Water Swimming Highlights
- He served as the open water swimming race director for Swim Miami presented by Nike, one of America's Top 50 Open Water Swims with his son Jonathan Strauss. Swim Miami presented by Nike is an annual multi-race open water swimming competition in Miami, Florida, U.S.A. with race distances of 5 km, 10 km, 1 mile and Media Challenge.
- He served as the Chief Observer for the Century Swim in the Gulf Stream, a 100 km current-assisted 12 hour 21 minute 14 second solo marathon swim by Pablo Fernández Álvarez of Spain on 30 July 2019 that took advantage of the currents of the Gulf Stream in the Atlantic Ocean.
- He served as the chief observer for Pablo Fernández Álvarez who swam 100 km in the Atlantic Ocean in the Gulf Stream off the eastern coast of Florida on 19 July 2021 in 11 hours 7 minutes and 7 seconds, swam 200 km in 21 hours 21 minutes and 20 seconds, swam 225 km in 23 hours 54 minutes and 19 seconds, and swam 250 km in 26 hours 36 minutes and 18 seconds on 19-20 July 2021.
Fastest Solo 100 km Open Water Swim
Pablo Fernández Álvarez swam the Fastest Solo 100 km Open Water Swim, called the Century Swim in the Gulf Stream, a record-setting current-assisted marathon swim where he used jammers, escort kayakers and a swim streamer on 30 July 2019 off the eastern coast of Florida near the city of Jupiter.
He authored the book, Discover Swimming, in September 2012.
He received the 2019 Virginia Hunt Newman Award from the International Swimming Hall of Fame.
Swim Miami Videos
Pablo Fernández Álvarez in the Gulf Stream
- The Team Behind Pablo Fernández Álvarez's 250K Ocean Swim
- Pablo Fernández Álvarez Swims History's Longest, Fastest Ocean Swim
- Pablo Fernández Álvarez Aborts World Record Attempt After Swimming 27 km In The First 3 Hours
- Open Water Swimming
- Reading, Not Racing. A Library Of Open Water Swimming Books
- Swim Gym
- What to Do When Weather Turns Bad
- Swim Miami presented by Nike website
- Whatta Race in Miami
- Watch Swim Miami Live
- America's Top 50 Open Water Swims
- Media Challenge In Miami
- Discover Swimming Strauss Style
- WOWSA, What A Day At Swim Miami
- U.S. Masters Swimming article on Robert Strauss
- Dealing With Pain And Celebrating Life
- Who What Where When And Why In Open Water Swimming
- Robert Strauss Re-discovers Swimming
- Robert Strauss Discovers Swimming In English And Spanish
- Andy Miyares Dares, Dreams, Does
- Robert Strauss Honored By The Hall Of Fame
- Pablo Fernández Álvarez, 100 km Down The Coast Of Florida
- Pablo Fernández Álvarez Sets 100 km Open Water Record