Rob Lea is an American endurance athlete from Park City, Utah who is a member of the Peak and Pond Challenge a solo achievement by individual adventurers who have successfully climbed Mt. Everest and swum across the English Channel.
Endurance Sports Highlights
- Lea is the only person to complete a Calendar Year Peak and Pond, a solo completion of a crossing of the English Channel and a summit of Mount Everest within one calendar year. He completed it 45 days apart.
- Lea completed a summit of Mount Everest summit on 24 May 2019.
- Lea completed a 33.8 km crossing of the English Channel from England to France on 10 July 2019 in 11 hours 47 minutes, becoming the 7th person from Utah to cross the English Channel.
- Lea created the Ultimate World Triathlon, a solo attempt to climb Mount Everest, swim the English Channel, and bike across the United States within 6 months starting in September 2019.
- On 20 August 2021, he completed a 32.3 km crossing of the Catalina Channel from Santa Catalina Island to the Southern California mainland in 11 hours 14 minutes 28 seconds with Caroline Gleich and observers Cammie Goodell and Don Van Cleve. *In June 2019, he participated in 10 km Del Valle Open Water Festival in California.
Members of the Peak and Pond
1. Hugo Rodríguez Barroso (Mexico) - accomplished twice
- Mount Everest summit in 1997
- English Channel crossing on 13 August 1986 in 13 hours 0 minutes
- Mount Everest summit on 6 May 1999
- English Channel crossing on 26 August 1993 in 13 hours 4 minutes
- Mount Everest summit in 2000
- Mount Everest summit in May 1997
- English Channel crossing: 24 August 2003 in 20 hours 30 minutes at the age of 38
3. Georgios-Ioannis Tsianos (Greece)
4. Matthew J. Williams (UK)
- English Channel crossing on 22 September 2010 in 15 hours 25 minutes
- Mount Everest summit on 23 May 2008
5. Bill Borger Jr. (Canada)
- English Channel crossing on 9 September 2000 in 12 hours 11 minutes
- Mount Everest summit on 12 May 2011
6. Boguslaw Ogrodnik (Poland)
7. Gabriel Viti (USA)
- Mount Everest summit on 22 May 2010
- English Channel crossing on 7 August 2014 in 15 hours 50 minutes
8. Allan McLeland (USA)
9. Jason Snell (UK)
- Mount Everest summit on 15 May 2016
- English Channel crossing on 23 September 2017 in 16 hours 30 minutes
10. Patrick McKnight (USA)
11. Rob Lea (USA)
- Cargo Clogs Catalina Creating Chaos - But Catalina Channel Crossings Continue
- Greg Johnson Completes The Peak And Pond
- Hugo Rodriguez Barroso To Appear On WOWSA Live
- Rob Lea, James Tout, Georgios-Ioannis Tsianos Do The Uniquely Unusual Around The World
- One athlete’s key to preparing for an English Channel swim? Eat more pizza
- Rob Lea Successfully Swim The English Channel
- Open Water Swimming
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Marathon Swimming