Richard Weinberger (born 1990) is a 26-year-old Canadian pool and open water swimmer who was the bronze medalist in the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim at the 2012 London Olympic Games. The world-class pool and open water swimmer from Canada started swimming competitively as a child in Vernon, British Columbia and currently trains at Pacific Coast Swimming in Victoria. His hometown is Surrey, but he has also resided in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. He finished second at the 2012 FINA Olympic Marathon Swim Qualifier in Setubal Bay, Portugal and qualified for the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games.
- 1 Open Water Swimming Performances
- 2 London 10km Marathon Swimming Invitational
- 3 2012 Olympic 10K Marathon Swim
- 4 2012 Olympic 10K Marathon Swim Results
- 5 2016 Olympic 10K Marathon Swim Results
- 6 Videos
- 7 2010 USA Swimming National Open Water Swimming Championships
- 8 External links
Open Water Swimming Performances
- In 2009, the season highlight for Weinberger was a double gold performance at the Canada Games in Prince Edward Island. Weinberger showed his versatility taking the 800 freestyle in the pool and the 10 kilometre open water race on the Southwest River in Clinton, PEI.
- At the 2009 SFU Clan Cup Invitational, Richard won a silver medal in the 1500 free, losing to teammate Nicholas Sinclair who had just swam every event at the meet, and had only a three minute break after 200 fly.
- At the 2010 World Open Water Swimming Championships in Roberval, Canada, Weinberger placed 13th in the 10K marathon swim.
- At the 2010 world championship trials in Long Beach, California, Weinberger finished fifth in the 10K marathon swim, only five seconds off the winning time posted by world championship bronze medalist Fran Crippen of the U.S. (see video below).
- Weinberger finished the 2009-2010 season winning bronze in the 10k at the Pan Pacific Championships in Irvine (see video below).
- He participated in the 2011 FINA World Championships in Shanghai, China, and finished less than a half minute from the winning time for 17th place in the men’s 10K marathon swim.
- He won the London 10km Marathon Swimming Invitational
- He won the 2011 Pan American Games 10K marathon swim in Mexico
- He started off the 2012 FINA 10km Marathon Swimming World Cup season by finishing third in the opening race in Santos, Brazil.
- He won the FINA 10 km Marathon Swimming World Cup on 26 July 2012 in 1 hour 56 minutes 5.4 seconds.
- He won the 10 km marathon swim at the 2012 Australia Open Water Swimming Championships in Perth.
- His performance at the 2013 FINA World Championships in Barcelona was nominated for the 2013 World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year.
- He competed in the 5 km race and the mixed 5 km team pursuit at the 2017 FINA World Swimming Championships in Lake Balaton, Hungary.
- In July 2017, he finished eighth in the Traversée internationale du lac St-Jean FINA 10K Marathon Swimming World Cup in Lac St-Jean, Canada.
London 10km Marathon Swimming Invitational
Richard was invited to London England for the London 10km Marathon Swimming Invitational which he won. The 2011 London 10km Marathon Swimming International was an opportunity for the London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (LOCOG), coaches, FINA administrators and swimmers to check out the logistics and course layout of the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim in anticipation of the 2012 London Olympics. The event took place in the Serpentine Lake in Hyde Park in central London on August 13th.
2012 Olympic 10K Marathon Swim
The FINA President Dr. Julio C. Maglione said, "FINA is extremely pleased to organize, in co-operation with the London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games, the Marathon Swimming Test Event, in the beautiful Hyde Park lake. I am sure that all swimmers, coaches and officials will enjoy very much this event, and will be able to collect the best possible information for an optimal organisation of the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim event, next year in London. I would like to express our gratitude to the International Olympic Committee and London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games and ensure FINA's full collaboration in the future, namely in the Olympic preparation of our remain aquatic disciplines: swimming, diving, water polo and synchronised swimming."
David Luckes, Head of Sport Competition at London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games explained, "The London 10km Marathon Swimming International will be used to test the Marathon Swimming course in Hyde Park as well as many of London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games's operations. We are delighted to be able to run such an event with a high level of international athletes and look forward to giving the public an opportunity to witness world class sport for free this weekend."
Results from London 10km Marathon Swimming Invitational
1. Richard Weinberger (CAN) - 1:50.49.8
2. Thomas Lurz (GER) - 1:51.16.0 - 26.2 seconds behind winner
3. Spyros Gianniotis (GRE) - 1:51.16.1; +26.3
4. Luca Ferretti (ITA) - 1:51.18.8; +29
5. Andreas Waschburger (GER) - 1:51.32.6; +42.8
6. Csaba Gercsak (HUN) - 1:51.43.7: +53.9
7. Alex Meyer (USA) - 1:52.19.5; 1:29.7
8. Ky Hurst (AUS) - 1:52.20.1; +1:30.3
9. Chris Bryan (IRL) - 1:52.24.5; +1:34.7
10. Yuri Kudinov (KAZ) - 1:52.29.0; +1:39.2
11. Antonis Fokaidis (GRE) - 1:53.16.1; +2:26.3
12. Zibin Zhang (CHN) - 1:53.21.1; +2:31.3
13. Julien Sauvage (FRA) - 1:57.17.5: +6:27.7
14. Arseniy Lavrentyev (POR) - 1:58.23.5; +7:33.7
15. Tin Yu Ling (HKG) - 2:07.45.8; +16:56.0
16. Marcus Yat Ho Yuen (HKG) - 2:08.17.0; +17:27.2
2012 Olympic 10K Marathon Swim Results
1. Oussama Mellouli of Tunisia - 1:49:55.1
2. Thomas Lurz of Germany - 1:49:58.5
3. Richard Weinberger of Canada - 1:50:00.3
4. Spyridon Gianniotis of Greece - 1:50:05.3
5. Daniel Fogg of Great Britain - 1:50:37.3
6. Sergey Bolshakov of Russia - 1:50:40.1
7. Vladimir Dyatchin of Russia - 1:50:42.8
8. Andreas Waschburger of Germany - 1:50:44.4
9. Petar Stoychev of Bulgaria - 1:50:46.2
10. Alex Meyer of the USA - 1:50:48.2
11. Julien Sauvage of France - 1:50:51.3
12. Troyden Prinsloo of South Africa - 1:50:52.9
13. Erwin Maldonado of Venezuela - 1:50:52.9
14. Igor Chervynskiy of Ukraine - 1:50:56.9
15. Yasunari Hirai of Japan - 1:51:20.1
16. Brian Ryckeman of Belgium - 1:51:27.1
17. Valerio Cleri of Italy - 1:51:29.5
18. Csaba Gercsak of Hungary - 1:51:30.9
19. Arseniy Lavrentyev of Portugal - 1:51:37.2
20. Ky Hurst of Australia - 1:51:41.3
21. Ivan Enderica Ochoa of Ecuador - 1:52:28.6
22. Yuriy Kudinov of Kazakhstan - 1:52:59.0
23. Francisco Jose Hervas of Spain - 1:53:27.8
24. Mazen Aziz Metwaly of Egypt - 1:54:33.2
25. Benjamin Schulte of Guam - 2:03:35.1
2016 Olympic 10K Marathon Swim Results
1. Ferry Weertman, NED 1:52:59.8
2. Spyridon Gianniotis, GRE 1:52:59.8
3. Marc-Antoine Daniel Frede Olivier, FRA 1:53:02.0
4. Lijun Zu, CHN 1:53:02.0
5. Jordan Wilimovsky, USA 1:53:03.2
6. Simone Ruffini, ITA 1:53:03.5
7. Federico Vanelli, ITA 1:53:03.9
8. Yasunari Hirai, JPN 1:53:04.6
9. Christian Reichert, GER 1:53:04.7
10. Chad Ho, RSA 1:53:04.8
11. Evgenii Drattcev, RUS 1:53:04.8
12. Ous Mellouli, TUN 1:53:06.1
13. Mark Papp, HUN 1:53:11.7
14. Ventsislav Aydaski, BUL 1:53:16.1
15. Ivan Enderica Ochoa, ECU 1:53:16.2
16. Richard Weinberger, CAN 1:53:16.4
17. Allan Do Carmo, BRA 1:53:16.4
18. Kane Rae Francis Radford, NZL 1:53:18.7
19. Richard Nagy, SVK 1:53:35.4
20. Jarrod Poort, AUS 1:53:40.7
21. Erwin Maldonado, VEN 1:54:33.6
22. Marwan Ahmed Aly Morsy Elamrawy, EGY 1:59:17.2
DSQ Sean Ryan, USA
DSQ Vitaliy Khudyakov, KAZ (Asia)
DSQ Jack Burnell, GBR
2010 USA Swimming National Open Water Swimming Championships
In Long Beach, California
- When The Top Swimmers In The Pool Went To The Open Water: 1971 Pan American Games
- Canada Selects Open Water Swimmers For Olympic Qualification Race
- New Path For Canadian Swimmers To The 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games
- Swimming In The Wake Of Richard Weinberger
- Hank Wise To Be Honored By Iconix Fitness
- Who Will Follow In The Wake Of Richard Weinberger?
- Andrew Gemmell Speaks Out About FINA's Swimming World
- 2012 Olympic Marathon Swimming 10km Coverage
- 2012 Olympic Marathon Swimming - Male Medal Contenders
- Richard Weinberger Expects The Unexpected
- Open Water Swimming
- Richard Weinberger Win London Olympic 10K Marathon Test Event
- See You In London - Male Olympic Marathon Swimmers
- 2012 London Olympics - The Men of Open Water Swimming
- 34 Countries on 5 Continents in London Olympics
- Looking Forward Towards Rio 2016
- Richard Weinberger Wins Traversée Internationale du lac St. Jean
- We Know Richard Weinberger, But Who Is Eric Hedlin?
- Richard Weinberger Scaling Olympic Heights From Vernon To London
- All Kinds Of Races At Traversée du lac Memphrémagog
- Strategy, Speed, Stamina, Smarts Required At World's 25K
- Marathon Swimming
- World Professional Marathon Swimming Federation
- Swimming Canada Swimming For Gold
- Swimming Canada At The World Championships
- It Is Going To Be An Adventure On Lac Memphrémagog
- Richard Weinberger And Martina Grimaldi Headline Traversée
- Strategies At The Traversée du lac Memphrémagog
- What Is It With Those Canadians?
- Don't Give Richard Weinberger An Edge In The RCP Tiburon Mile
- Never Ever Giving Up, The Comeback Of Richard Weinberger
- Open Water Swimming Predictions For 2014
- Olympian Duel In Fort Myers
- Historical Revolution: The Feminine Code Of Achievement
- Australian Men Looking For Gold On The Coast
- Juniors And Seniors Mix In Maui
- How Fast Are Women Relative To Men In Swimming?
- Chip Off The Ol' Block At The Pan American Games
- How Close is Close?
- Jordan Wilimovsky Leaves World In His Wake
- Jordan Wilimovsky Leads Talented Field To Rio
- Mainstone Rhys To The Occasion In Lac Mégantic
- The Internationalization Of Open Water Swimming
- Commonwealth Cruising
- Trained by assassins, Vancouver's Richard Weinberger looks to clean up in Rio's dirty water
- Why Richard Weinberger Will Win Rio Olympic 10K
- Dutch Treat, Ferry Weertman Wins Olympic 10K Marathon Swim
- No Thank You, We Are On A Chase
- Ferry Weertman In Lead Now
- Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi! Oi! Oi! Chase Is On
- Is Poort Pulling A Bircher?
- Expect The Unexpected In The Men's Olympic 10K
- 24 Men Chasing Jarrod Poort
- Jarrod Poort Takes Off On A Risky Strategy In 10K
- Age Analysis Of Olympic Open Water Swimmers
- Mark Perry Has Grand Plans For Canada In The Open Water
- Ferry Tale Win For Weertman
- What Is Your Mellouli Number?
- What Is Your Van Rouwendaal Number?
- Wetsuits vs. No Wetsuits - Strange But True In Open Water