Revival of the First Modern Olympic Games
Revival of the First Modern Olympic Games Open Sea Swimming Races is a 500m open water swim held in Piraeus, Greece on 30 May 2015.
119 years after the first modern Olympic Games in Athens, Greece, an open water swimming race will be revived in Piraeus in Pasalimani during the Maritime Days 2015. The modern-day open water swimmers will compete in 500m freestyle which was the first Olympic sport. The races are going to take place in front of Alexandras Square.
28 May 2015
Locations of Olympic Swimming Events in the Open Water
In the modern Olympic Games, the swimming events were held in open bodies of water that included the following:
- 1896 Athens Olympics (Games of the I Olympiad): Bay of Zea off the Piraeus coast, Aegean Sea, Greece
- 1900 Paris Olympics (Games of the III Olympiad): Seine River, Paris, France
- 1904 St. Louis Olympics (Games of the III Olympiad): Man-made pond near Skinker and Wydown Boulevards, St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.A.
- 1906 Athens Intercalated Games: Neo Phaliron Bay off the coast of Athens, Greece
- 2008 Beijing Olympics (Games of the XXIX Olympiad): Shunyi Olympic Rowing-Canoeing Park (顺义奥林匹克水上公园 or 順義奧林匹克水上公園 in Chinese), outside Beijing, China
- 2012 London Olympics (Games of the XXX Olympiad): Serpentine, London, UK
- 2016 Rio Olympics (Games of the XXXI Olympiad): Copacabana Beach, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 2020 Tokyo Olympics (Games of the XXXII Olympiad): Odaiba Marine Park in Tokyo Bay, Japan