Redondo Beach is one of the three Beach Cities located in the South Bay in Los Angeles County, California, United States. The population was 66,748 at the 2010 census, up from 63,261 at the 2000 census. The city is located in the South Bay region of the greater Los Angeles area.
Redondo Beach was originally part of the 1785 Rancho San Pedro Spanish land grant that later became the South Redondo area. The city's territory has an unusual shape including an area along the beach (South Redondo Beach) and another strip inland from Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach (North Redondo Beach). The primary attractions include Municipal Pier and the sandy beach, popular with tourists and a variety of sports enthusiasts including surfers and open water swimmers.
The three Beach Cities are Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach and Redondo Beach, known locally as the South Bay, which lie on the south end of the Santa Monica Bay west and south of downtown Los Angeles, north of the Palos Verdes Peninsula on the Pacific Ocean in Southern California. All three are renowned for their beaches and all three have municipal piers. They are popular with open water swimmers, surfers, bodyboarders and other beachgoers. The strand runs along the beaches and is used for cycling, running and rollerblading. The three cities share the Beach Cities Transit district.
Open Water Swimming
- The Redondo Beach Open Water Swim (Swim The Avenues) is held in Redondo Beach in July.
- The Redondo Beach Coastal Challenge is held along the coast of Redondo Beach and Palos Verdes on 4-6 October.
Open Water Summit Introduction Video
- Saving Steve Sutto
- Marathon Swimmers Can Show Off The Beauty Of Southern California At The 2028 Los Angeles Olympics
- Ryan Bullock To Defend Title At Naples Island Swim In Long Beach
- 16 Hours And More In An Endless Pool, Dave Tonge To Attempt A Record
- 30-30-30: Merle To Attempt Mermaid Swim World Record In The Bahamas
- Shelley Taylor-Smith & Cameron Bellamy Talk About His Guinness World Record At WOWSA Fest
- Shelley Taylor-Smith & Cameron Bellamy Talk About Swimming 150 km Non-Stop At WOWSA Fest
- Shelley Taylor-Smith & Cameron Bellamy Talk About Channel Swimming At WOWSA Ocean Fest
- Mark Caron, Adam Nuhfer Talk Open Water Safety On WOWSA Live
- Mermaid Went On Marathon Mission, Then Appears On FINIS Friday
- A Childhood Dream Realized
- How Yuko Broke The Record
- Bill Brand Making A Lasting Impact
- Alex Kostich Accepts Guinness World Record Around Pitcairn Island
- Pablo Fernández Álvarez Swimming Shackled In Guinness World Record Attempt
- Sam I Am
- Ram In Redondo: Barkai On The Beauty Of The Ice
- Racing At 5 am
- Redondo Beach website
- Brian Meharg Shares His Perspectives On North Channel Crossings At the 2019 WOWSA Ocean Fest
- Yuko Matsuzaki To Attempt World Record At WOWSA Ocean Fest
- The Legacy Of Dwight Crum
- Dwight Crum Pier-To-Pier Swim
- Summer Surfing In The Swim
- Dude, Look At That Wave…And Shark
- You Are Not Alone Walking From Los Angeles To San Diego
- Lexie Kelly, Ryan Bullock Go 2 For 2 In Southern California
- Dave Loeffler's Unprecedented Swim For Ocean Therapy
- Tokyo, Check. Paris, Check. What About Los Angeles?
- Boring versus Bold for 2028 Los Angeles Olympics
- Ion Lazarenco Tiron Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize
- Paul Asmuth To Speak At 2019 Open Water Summit
- Swimming In South Bay + Santa Monica
- Twins Establish A Global Legacy In Redondo Beach That Extends Around The World