Paradise Harbor, also known as Paradise Bay, is a wide embayment behind Lemaire and Bryde Islands in Antarctica, indenting the west coast of Graham Land between Duthiers and Leniz Points. The name was first applied by whalers operating in the vicinity and was in use by 1920. It is one of only two harbors used for cruise ships to stop on the continent; the other is Neko Harbor.
Open Water Swimming in Antarctica
- Lynne Cox was the first human to swim in Neko Harbor and in Antarctica without a wetsuit when she swam 1.2 miles in 2°C (35°F) waters in 25 minutes in 2002
- Ryan Stramrood, Ram Barkai and Kieron Palframan attempted an Ice mile in Neko Harbor in Antarctica in -1ºC (30.2ºF) waters on 4 March 2014
- Andrew Chin completed a 1 km swim while Toks Viviers and Gavin Pike completed an ice mile in Paradise Harbour in Antarctica in -1ºC (30.2ºF) water also on 4 March 2014
- Lewis Pugh has swum 1 km in 0°C waters off Petermann Island and 1 mile in 2°C (35°F) waters near Deception Island in 30 minutes 30 seconds, both in 2005
- Ram Barkai swam 1 km at 70º south latitude, near Maitri, the Indian scientific research station in Antarctica, in Long Lake in 1°C (33.8°F) waters in 2008.
- Bhakti Sharma swam 1.4 miles in 41.14 minutes in 1ºC water in the Southern Ocean in January 2015
- Jaimie Monahan swam in Paradise Bay in 2015
A Polar Zero Ice Mile is an Ice Mile swim completed under 1ºC water in the polar region.
Antarctica Polar Zero Ice Mile
- Arctic, Antarctica, BiPolar Ice Swimmers Announced by the International Ice Swimming Association
- Josef Köberl Is Confined To Set A Unique Distance And Altitude Ice Swimming Record
- White, Water, Swimming, Snow
- 2020 WOWSA Awards – World Open Water Swimming Offering Of The Year Nominees
- The Most Expensive Mile on the Planet
- Ger Kennedy Completes A Polar Zero Ice Mile
- Antarctic Circle Challenge, An Ice Swimming Hall Of Fame Honor Event
- Ram Barkai Facebook page
- Ryan Stramrood Facebook page
- Andrew Chin Facebook page
- Toks Viviers Facebook page
- Kieron Palframan Facebook page
- Gavin Pike Facebook page
- Antartica Circle Ice Challenge: The Goal, Men And Cause
- Supermen Swim Past Icebergs, Orcas At Bottom Of World
- Where Landmarks Are Pure Snowy White
- Fearless And Frozen At The Bottom Of The World
- How Low Can They Go?
- Ice Swimming Comes To New York City
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming
- Swimmer's Six