New England Marathon Swimming Association
noun - New England Marathon Swimming Association (NEMSA) (now called the New England Open Water Swimming Association is a non-profit member organization spanning from Booth Bay to Narragansett Bay immersed in open water swimming, racing and watching guard over New England's waters. Its members have been swimming the waters of New England in the northeastern United States of America for over 30 years. From Booth Bay to Narragansett Bay, members swim and watch guard over the quality of New England's waters.
The organization, who calls themselves, "Open Water Swimmers for Clean Water," retains the goals of connecting open water swimmers across New England, encouraging awareness in clean water issues, and creating or promoting open water swim events - whether races, open water swimming clinics, or informal group swims.
NEMSA was formed to ensure open water swimming opportunities will be here for the future as defined in its mission to protect and maintain the health of rivers, ponds, lakes, harbors, bays, sounds and the ocean. It is one of the co-hosts and co-organizers of the James Doty Memorial Mile Swim.
The members of its current board of directors as NEOWSA include the following individuals:
The members of its former board of directors as NEMSA included the following individuals:
NEMSA was founded in 1976 by Boston-area ocean swimmer, James Doty. It also conducts the annual Celebrate the Clean Harbor Swim, a 1.2-mile open water swim in Niles Beach, Gloucester, Massachusetts whose 34th annual event will be held 11 August 2012. It is now known at the New England Open Water Swimming Association.
International Swimming Hall of Fame
The New England Marathon Swimming Association donated the Irving Davids-Captain Roger Wheeler Memorial Award to the International Swimming Hall of Fame to recognize individuals who have helped grow the sport of open water swimming.
- Demonstrate their support of NEMSA
- Provide US$10 discount entry fee to 2012 Gloucester Clean Harbor Swim
- Are invited to participate in group training swims
- Are eligible for 20% discount on select products through Kast-a-way swimwear
- Enroll in NEMSA's newsletter, receive updates on open water swimming events and clean water issues throughout the year
- Hall Of Famer Peter Jurzynski Talks About His Career On WOWSA Live
- Honoring The Legacies Of Irving Davids, Roger Wheeler
- New England Marathon Swimming Association
- International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame
- International Swimming Hall of Fame website
- Open Water Swimming
- Explaining The International Marathon Swimming Hall Of Fame
- Jim Doty Is Timeless
- Marathon Swimming
- Bringing The Masses To The Open Water
- The Legacy Of Jim Doty Continues