Midmar Dam is a dam and recreation area near Pietermaritzburg, South Africa, located in the Midlands of Kwa-Zulu Natal. Boating, swimming, waterskiing, picnicking, and fishing are popular pastimes at Midmar Dam. Each year, the world's largest competitive open water swimming race, the Midmar Mile, is held there in February.
Surrounding the dam are rolling hills of green and camping sites, chalets, log cabins and picnic areas. The dam also hosts a yacht club, and lock up storage facilities for boats. The weather can change rapidly and does not always correspond with the weather in the surrounding area.
Open Water Swimming
Byron Dillon completed the first 42 km perimeter swim around the Midmar Dam in 2006. There have been 41 editions of the Midmar Mile, the world's largest competitive open water swim in the Midmar Dam since the 1970s.
- Danie Marais, Sasha-Lee Corris Win Greendale Superspar Capital K Open Water Swim
- Midmar Mile website
- 91 And Counting, Lorna Cochran Leads A Gang
- Midmar Dam overview
- Byron Dillon Remembers The First Swim Around Midmar Dam
- Ho vs. Prinsloo Déjà Vu In Midmar
- Aerial HD photos of the Midmar Mile
- aQuellé Midmar Mile
- World Open Water Swimming Series
- World Open Water Swimming Association