Megan Melgaard is an American pool and open water swimmer from Atlanta, Georgia. She is also a triathlete, adventure athlete, coach, and safety officer with an MBA and a Masters Degree in Information Technology that gives her an opportunity to consult and manage projects across the world. She serves as the Director of Events for Swim Across America and coordinates the Swim Across America Atlanta charity swim.
She has raced around islands and acted in a feature film (The Guardian) as a Coast Guard Rescue Swimmer as well as led water safety programs for Delta Airlines, and Living Is Winning, an inspirational movie about Andrew Johnston, a former pro-cyclist, current Ironman triathlete, and Leukemia survivor overcoming the odds in a triathlon.
Following a successful competitive swimming career at the University of Florida and as a member of the United States National Swim Team, Megan became a professional extreme and endurance athlete, specializing in open water swimming, cycling, cyclocross, on and off road triathlon, and adventure racing. She did the Race Across America and won the Georgia State Cyclocross Championships as well as finished second at the Swim Around Key West in Florida and set the swim course record for the XTerra World Championships in Maui.
For over 15 years, she has successfully trained amateur, world-class and professional athletes to become stronger and faster in their respective disciplines. She has trained professionals in multiple sports, including swimming, triathlon, football, boxing and running. Megan can be found in the open water over 25 hours a week, conducting open water lessons, clinics, from the water with her goggles on, on a paddle board or on a kayak.
Megan has spent the last several years of her life obtaining training and certifications as they relate to open water swimming and wilderness adventure. She teaches three-year-old graduates of the local Infant Swimming Resource program to learn the proper swimming techniques and survive in the water and assists flight attendants in Open Water Evacuation Procedures. Megan has a broad understanding and appreciation of safety and emergency skills as a USA Triathlon certified Race Director and Swim Course Coordinator.
She appeared in the film, The Guardian, with Hollywood A-list actors including Ashton Kutcher and Kevin Costner. She worked as a safety diver for the Discovery Channel and a Location Scout for water-based commercials and films. Megan has also completed her certifications for Super Level 1 Motion Picture Stunt Driving as well as her NAUI Scuba Diving Certification for Action Film Scuba Diving.
She competed in an adventure-based reality TV show called The Nevada Passage where she spent six days rock climbing, jet skiing, mountain biking and snowshoeing, sand boarding and kayaking. She helped produce the sports documentary Living is Winning and has been in front and behind the camera for NBC and ESPN - and even had the time to successfully launch a niche swimwear company a decade ago.
• 2011 Masters Pan American Games 3K Open Water, Nov 2011, 1st place OVERALL (34 min 35 sec)
• Georgia Games 3K, July 2011, 1st place
• Georgia State Games Open Water Championships 5K, July 2010 (54 min 29 sec)
• 34th Annual 12.5 mile Swim Around Key West, 2nd place (4:45:06)
• 40th Annual Ft Lauderdale Rough Water Swim, 1st place (22:41:10)
• New Orleans 1/2 Ironman, Fastest Female 1.2 mile swim, 2010
• 1st place Overall Great Florida Challenge Aquabike, 2010
• 1st place Overall, 1st place woman, Inaugural 1 K Brooklyn Bridge Swim, NY, NY, September 2006
• 1st place 25-29 age group, 1 Mile Don Burns Open Water Swim, Newport, CA, Aug 2006
• 1st place Overall, 1st place woman, 1.2 Open Water Swim Charlotte, NC, August 2005
• 1st place woman, 2.4 Open Water Swim Charlotte, NC, July 2005
• 1st place woman, 5K Lake Lanier Open Water Swim, June 2005
• Wild Women Water Days, 2nd place, 1.5 mile open water swim 2003
• She coordinated the 2017 Swim Across America Catalina Channel Crossing with Brett Cohen, Malena Hankins, Carolyn Hollingsworth, Naomi Kent, Rene Martínez Saenz, and Dan Simonelli with escort pilot Captain Dave of the Pacific Star Charters on 17 July 2017. • On 23 December 2018, she competed in the King and Queen of the Sea in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil with Zane Grothe.
• FINA Masters World Championships, 1st place: 200 Back, 200 Freestyle, 400 Freestyle
• USMS National Championships, 1st place: 200 Back (2:02.81), 200 Freestyle (1:51.35), 500 Freestyle (4:55.06), 1,000 Freestyle (9:59:80)
• Silver Medalist, Pan American Games, Swimming, 4x200 Freestyle Relay 1999
• United States National Champion, Swimming, 4x200 Freestyle Relay, 1999
• 5th place, 1650 yard freestyle, 1999 NCAA Championships (16:20)
• 7th place, 500 yard freestyle, 1999 NCAA Championships
• 8th place, 800 yard freestyle relay, 1999 NCAA Championships
• 2nd place, 500 yard freestyle, 1999 SEC Championships
• 4th place, 1650 yard freestyle, 1999 SEC Championships
• Jr National Champion, 800 meter freestyle 1995
• Member of 2001 SEC Championship Team, University of Florida, Women’s Swimming
• 5-time All-American (Swimming – University of Florida)
• Maryland State Swimmer of the Year 1998
• Maryland State Record Holder, 200 meter freestyle
Redondo Beach Coastal Challenge
Catalina Cancer Crushers Relay
She was a member of the Catalina Cancer Crushers Relay, a 6-person relay that completed a 48-mile clockwise circumnavigation swim around Catalina Island in 27 hours 46 minutes 6 seconds on 11 September 2019 while raising more than US$60,000 for cancer research and treatment on behalf of Swim Across America together with Scott Beeber, Josh Fromson, Matt Jennings, Erik King, Jackie NeJaime, Gary Workman, Dan Simonelli (coordinator), Henie Brandol (crew), Kristine Croft (crew), Megan Melgaard (Swim Across America representative), Guy Morgan (escort kayaker) and Dawn Niday (escort kayaker).
- Megan Melgaard
- Success Across Swim Across America
- Are Open Water Swimmers Watermen?
- Open Water Swimming Coaches Around The World
- Courage Is Grace Under Pressure
- I Made It Around Manhattan Island
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming
- Where There Is A Will, There Is A Way
- The Polish Extravaganza, 2014 BCT Gdynia Marathon
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Travel And Raise Money While Making Waves
- These People Will Entertain, Inspire You With Their Answers
- Skolnick On Swimming At The Olympic Club
- Mosaic Of Marathoners
- Italians Win The King & Queen Of The Sea