Mario Sanzullo (born 5 June 1993) is a 28-year-old professional marathon swimmer from Italy. He swims for the Gruppo sportivo della Polizia di Stato.
Open Water Swimming Career
- On 4 September 2022, he finished 2nd in the 36 km Maratona del Golfo Capri-Napoli after the race was suspended due to unsafe conditions after 4 hours 57 minutes.
- He finished 9th in the 2019 FINA World Championships 10 km race that qualified him for the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim at the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games to be held on 5 August 2021 in Tokyo Bay.
- He placed second in the 2013 FINA Open Water Swimming Grand Prix race in Rosario, Argentina.
- On 8 February 2015, he won the 25 km at the FINA Open Water Swimming Grand Prix in Argentina at the age of 21.
- He captured the Campionato Italiano Assoluto 10 km race in Luogo Napoli on 9 June 2013
- He finished 43rd in the 10 km FINA World Championships in Barcelona, Spain on 22 July 2013
- He finished second at the 15 km Maratón Acuática Internacional Ciudad de Rosario in Argentina in both 2013 and 2014
- He won the 2015 Maratón Internacional Aguas Abiertas Villa Urquiza - Paraná race on the FINA Open Water Swimming Grand Prix circuit
- He finished third in the 10 km marathon swim at the 2015 World University Games in South Korea
- He finished second in the 5 km race at the 2017 FINA World Swimming Championships in Lake Balaton, Hungary on 15 July.
- He finished 3rd in the 2019 USA Swimming National Open Water Swimming Championships in 54:33.19 in Miami, Florida on 3 May 2019.
- On 13 March 2021, he finished 4th in the 10 km in 1:52:14.20 at the FINA/CNSG Marathon Swim World Series in Qatar at the age of 27.
- On 15 February 2020, he finished 14th in the 10 km in 1:50:07.50 at the FINA/CNSG Marathon Swim World Series in Qatar at the age of 26.
- On 15 June 2019, he finished 6th in the 10 km in 1:50:25.00 at the FINA/CNSG Marathon Swim World Series in Lake Balaton, Hungary at the age of 26.
- On 9 November 2018, he finished 5th in the 10 km in 1:53:04.30 at the FINA/HOSA Marathon Swim World Series in the UAE at the age of 25.
- On 9 August 2018, he finished 8th in the 10 km in 1:49:47.40 at the European Championships in the UK at the age of 25.
- On 16 June 2018, he finished 16th in the 10 km in 1:56:28.70 at the FINA/HOSA Marathon Swim World Series in Lake Balaton, Hungary at the age of 25.
- On 9 June 2018, he finished 2nd in the 10 km in 1:56:22.33 at the FINA/HOSA Marathon Swim World Series in Setubal Bay, Portugal at the age of 25.
- On 20 May 2018, he finished 7th in the 10 km in 1:49:47.10 at the FINA/HOSA Marathon Swim World Series in Seychelles at the age of 24.
- On 5 August 2021, he finished 14th in the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim in Odaiba Marine Park in Tokyo Bay at the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games.
- On 15 December 2021, he finished 4th in the 10 km FINA/CNSG Marathon Swim World Series Grand Finale in Yas Bay, Abu Dhabi, UAE at the age of 28.
2020 Tokyo Olympic 10K Marathon Swim Results
Gold: Florian Wellbrock (Germany, 23) 1:48:33.70
Silver: Kristóf Rasovszky (Hungary, 24) 1:48:59.00
Bronze: Gregorio Paltrinieri (Italy, 26) 1:49:01.10
4. Matan Roditi (Israel, 22) 1:49:24.90
5. Athanasios Kynigakis (Greece, 22) 1:49:29.20
6. Marc-Antoine Olivier (France, 25) 1:50:23.00
7. Ferry Weertman (Netherlands, 29) 1:51:30.80
8. Michael McGlynn (South Africa, 21) 1:51:32.70
9. Hau-Li Fan (Canada, 23) 1:51:37.00
10. Jordan Wilimovsky (USA, 27) 1:51:40.20
11. Rob Muffels (Germany, 26) 1:53:03.30
12. Kai Graeme Edwards (Australia, 22) 1:53:04.00
13. Taishin Minamide (Japan, 25) 1:53:07.50
14. Mario Sanzullo (Italy, 28) 1:53:08.60
15. David Farinango (Ecuador, 20) 1:53:09.80
16. Phillip Seidler (Namibia, 23) 1:53:14.10
17. Daniel Delgadillo (Mexico, 31) 1:53:14.40
18. Alberto Martinez (Spain, 23) 1:53:16.50
19. Kirill Abrosimov (Russian Olympic Committee, 29) 1:54:29.30
20. Ous Mellouli (Tunisia, 37) 1:56:33.30
21. Vitaliy Khudyakov (Kazakhstan, 26) 1:57:53.70
22. William Yan Thorley (Hong Kong, 18) 1:58:33.40
23. Tiago Campos (Portugal, 22) 1:59:42.00
24. Matej Kozubek (Czech Republic, 25) 2:01:52.10
DNF Hector Thomas Cheal Pardoe (Great Britain, 20)
DNF David Aubry (France, 24)
- Alessio Occhipinti Leads Italians in Rough Waters at Capri-Napoli
- Florian Wellbrock Wins FINA/CNSG Marathon Swim World Series 2021 Grand Finale
- Heat Survey for the Tokyo Olympic Marathon Swimmers
- Florian Wellbrock Dominates The Olympic 10K Marathon Swim
- Matan Roditi Is Heading To The Tokyo Olympic Games
- Athanasios Kynigakis Is Heading To The Tokyo Olympic Games
- Watch The Olympic Qualification Race – Takeshi Toyoda Of Japan In Lead
- Hector Pardoe Is Heading To The Tokyo Olympic Games
- International Conference on Open Water Swimming and Racing Techniques in Tokyo
- Olympic Swimmers Will Get Up A Little Earlier In The Heat
- From #stopolympics...To Bring It On!
- Tokyo 2020 Delayed...But Hopeful
- If The 2020 Olympic Marathon Swim Were Held As Scheduled: The Men
- Open Water Swimming Lingo At The Olympics
- 1 Day Earlier, 1 Year Later, The Tokyo Olympics
- 2020 Tokyo Olympics Appears To Be Postponed
- Tokyo Olympics Faces Force Majeure, Postponement
- Marathon Swimming Hall Of Famers At The Olympics
- #stopolympics Picks Up The Pace
- The Perfect Open Water Man
- The Perfect Open Water Woman
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Brazil, Italy Go 2-for-2 At USA National Championships
- Open Water Swimming
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- Marathon Swimming
- Olympic 10K Marathon Swim
- World Marathon Swimming Association
- Italians Go 1-2 In Rosario's Grand Prix
- It Will Be A Match Of Brains And Brawn In Cozumel
- Mario Sanzullo Puts It All Together In Luogo Napoli
- The Perfect Female Open Water Swimmer
- The Perfect Male Open Water Swimmer
- Swimming Canada At The World Championships
- Ous Mellouli Wins 5K Worlds Over Eric Hedlin
- Heady Times For Hedlin At World Championships
- Tosses, Turns, And Tussles In The 10K World Championship
- To The Wise And Patient Comes Victory, Gianniotis Wins 10K
- First Half Of The Men's 10K World Championship
- Swimming In Lane 4 In The Open Water
- Foi Muita Adrenalina! A Prova Foi Pura Emoção!
- Why Open Water Swimmers Get Slimy, Slick And Slithery
- Catherine Vogt, A Unique Blend Of Coaching Excellence
- Cara Baker Rising To The Occasion At Worlds
- It Takes A Global Village To Do Open Water
- Haley Anderson Wins 5K in Barcelona
- Rosario Race Goes Back To The Future
- Second Leg Of La Copa Grand Prix Quini 6
- Streamlined Optimal Breathing In The Open Water
- Lucky Sevens In Rosario
- Petar Stoychev On The Opposite End Of The Stick
- Fabiana Lamberti Wins Maratón Acuático de Rosario
- Simone Ercoli Leads 3 Amigos In Rosario
- Italian Polizia Go 1-2-3 In Rosario's Maratón Acuática
- The Perfect Ideal Of A Male Swimmer
- Italians Fly Fast Over 22 km
- Anton Evsikov Aces Universiade
- Split Times Taken At FINA World Championships
- Wetsuits vs. No Wetsuits - Strange But True In Open Water
- Men In Black Dominate USA Nationals
- Mario Sanzullo FINA bio