Loch Awe (Scottish Gaelic: Loch Obha) is a large body of water in Argyll and Bute, Scotland. It has also given its name to a village on its banks, variously known as Loch Awe, or Lochawe. There are islands within the loch such as Innis Chonnell and Inishail. It is site of the 40-mile Three Lakes Challenge (or Loch, Lake, Llyn), an unprecedented 5-person relay with Sam Plum, Jason Betley, Helen Gibbs, Helen Liddle, and Debbie Taylor on 3-4 July 2015.
Three Lakes Challenge Course
On 3 July 2015, the team started a 41 km (25 mile) course across Loch Awe. They drove to Windermere and swam across 16.9 km (10.5 miles), and then drove to and swam 4 miles (6.4 km) across Llyn Tegid (or Bala) in Wales.
Loch Awe Crossing
- Adrian Rotchell completed the inaugural British Long Distance Swimming Association-ratified solo of Loch Awe on 30 July 2016 in 14 hours 5 minutes. He established the route from Torran Bay to the River Orchy rail bridge.
- Phia Steyn completed a 38.1 km Loch Awe swim from Torran Bay to the River Awe on 18-19 July 2017 in 18 hours 8 minutes 30 seconds in 12.4ºC - 15ºC water with Robert Hamilton and Stewart Griffiths as support crew.
- Philip Hodges completed a British Long Distance Swimming Association-ratified crossing of Loch Awe on 19 August 2017 in 15 hours 3 minutes 44 seconds.
- Martyn Webster completed a Marathon Swimmers Federation-ratified crossing of Loch Awe on 9 July 2018.
- Helen Beveridge completed a British Long Distance Swimming Association-ratified crossing of Loch Awe on 5 August 2018 in 23 hours 29 minutes 55 seconds and was the first to swim from River Orchy rail bridge to Torran Bay.
- Days Across Lakes, Nights Up Mountains By John Myatt, Laura Nesbitt, Caroline Saxon and Lars Mack
- LongSwimsDB - Loch Awe swims
- Five Swim Three Lakes Challenge In Loch, Lake, Llyn
- The Three Lakes Challenge
- Five To Loch, Lake, Llyn
- National Three Peaks Challenge
- The Age Of Exploration In Open Water Continues
- Open Water Swimming
- Martyn Webster Is Barraesque, Wins The Barra Award
- Martyn Webster Talks About His Barraesque Year