King of the Channel
King of the Channel is a 30-minute documentary film about Des Renford's triology of open water swimming races vs. Kevin Murphy in the English Channel, Sydney Harbour and Loch Ness (the Loch Ness Monster Swim. The film was produced and created by Australian film maker Bob Armstrong and won a Logie as the best sports documentary film in Australia in 1977.
The film is different than the honorific title called the King of the Channel® which is a title bestowed on the man who has successfully completed more swims of the English Channel than any other. The title as well the accompanied Letona Trophy is awarded by the Channel Swimming Association. Its female equivalent is the Queen of the Channel®.
List of Kings of the Channel®
|King of the Channel® - Letona Trophy||Number of Crossings||Years Held Title|
|Captain Matthew Webb||1||1875-1934|
- The Legacy Of Brojen Das Lives. His Daughter Remembers On WOWSA Live
- Mervyn Sharp Talks About Achieving His Childhood Dream On WOWSA Live
- Watching Over Many, Impacting All
- Channel Swimming Association website
- Open Water Swimming
- Nothing Great Is Easy
- Sharp As A Swimmer, The Mervyn Marathon Magic
- A Quartet Of Heroes And Heroines
- Spellbound By Swimmers
- 2016 International Swimming Hall Of Fame Enshrinement