Open Water Swimming Career
- Tierney has swum the Hellespont in 2011 from Europe to Asia
- Tierney was a member of a successful 4-person English Channel relay on 5 August 2012 in 13 hours 32 minutes
- Tierney was a member of a successful 3-person English Channel relay on 10 September 2013 in 15 hours 55 minutes
- Tierney completed a 12 km swim across Lake Bolsena (Lago di Bolsena), a crater lake of central Italy, on 14 June 2014 in 4 hours 10 minutes
- Tierney completed a 12 km swim across Lake Bolsena (Lago di Bolsena)) on 1 July 2014
- Tierney completed a 12 km swim across Lake Bolsena (Lago di Bolsena) on 8 May 2015 in 4 hours 28 minutes
- Tierney completed a swim from Robben Island to Blouberg in South Africa on 2 April 2016 in 2 hours 50 minutes
- Tierney completed a 12 km swim across Lake Bolsena (Lago di Bolsena) on 11 June 2016.
- Tierney completed a 16.8 km one-way crossing of Windermere in England in 6 hours 27 minutes on 3 July 2017 in 16°C water under the auspices of Dave Carroll of the Chillswim.
- Tierney completed a 33.8 km crossing of the English Channel from England to France on 14 August 2017 in 14 hours 37 minutes at the age of 53 under the escort of pilot Lance Oram.
- Tierney participated in the 2017 Cork Distance Week in Cork, Ireland.
- Tierney created the concept of the Iberian Peppery Pig Six.
- Tierney completed a solo crossing of the English Channel on 14 August 2017 with Sea Satin in 14 hours 37 minutes after two previous unsuccessful attempts.
The Hellespont Swim
James Norton penned a poem about John's swim.
John Tierney swims the Hellespont
Equidistant from Istanbul and Edirne
Lie the Dardanelles which John Tierney,
Ears plugged against the song of the siren
And in emulation of Lord Byron,
Has swum in only trunks and hat,
The route to Çannakale from Eceabat.
The channel between these two towns,
Whose mythical darkness Leander drowns,
The Hellespont as was, separates
Europe and Asia. As this sonnet celebrates
In just under an hour did complete
This legendary intercontinental feat
In water twenty five degrees above zero
Our very own Hibernian Hero!
- Serpentine Swimming Club
- Serpentine Swimming Club Has The Right Stuff
- Serpentine Swimming Club - The 1ºC Solution
- The Temple Of Open Water Swimming
- Just Get On With It
- John Tierney Penning Poetry
- One Two Three Four, Tell The Swimmers What He Wore
- Swimming From The Heart
- Anticipating And Dealing With The Cold
- Frozen Solid Post-Swim Shower
- Sayings From The Open Water Swimming World
- Daniel Martinez Lobo Completes Catalina And Chorizo Four
- Double The Trouble, Twice As Nice For Deirdre Ward
- Cork Distance Week Alumni Success
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- Open Water Swimming
- Marathon Swimming
- Stephanie Hopson Believes On Her Journey To France
- John Tierney, Just Getting On With It
- After Chorizo Four, Dani Lobo Does Iberian Peppery Pig Six
- John Tierney Solo Swim of the English Channel
- 6 Degrees Of Separation In The English Channel