John Humenik of New York is a 41-year-old airline pilot and a professional open water swimmer who is a member of Coney Island Brighton Beach Open Water Swimmers (CIBBOWS). While he is a competent and serious swimmer, he has been known to knit cupcake hats for his relay team members, as he did for his winning 2-person MIMS 2011 relay with Janet Harris.
Open Water Swimming Career
- In September 2011, he competed in the 1st annual In Search of Memphre swim.
- won Stage 4 and Stage 5 of the inaugural 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim in New York in 2013 and 2014. The stages were, respectively, 15.2-miles from the Newburgh Beacon Bridge to the Bear Mountain Bridge (tied for first place with Rondi Davis), and 19.8-miles from the Bear Mountain Bridge to the Tappan Zee Bridge.
- In 2011, he swam NYC Swim's 17.5 mile Ederle Swim.
- In 2012, he placed 6th in the 28.5-mile Manhattan Island Marathon Swim
- In 2011, he won the 2-person Manhattan Island Marathon Swim relay with Janet Harris.
- In 2015, he won and set the course record at the Three Rivers Marathon Swim, a 30 km race in the rivers of Pittsburgh, together with Sarah Thomas
- In 2016, he won Stage 2 in Canyon Lake at the SCAR Challenge in Arizona.
- On 28-29 July 2017, he was an escort kayaker for the inaugural 91.6 km 40 Bridges - Double Manhattan Island Swim.
- On 23 September 2017, he won the 30 km Three Rivers Marathon Swim in the Ohio, Allegheny, and Monongahela Rivers in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 7 hours 27 minutes 26 seconds, setting a new course record together with Stephen Rouch.
- He completed the 2017 ʻAu I Nā Mokupuni ʻEkolu Swim Challenge crossing the 13.5 km Pailolo Channel, 14.9 km Kalohi Channel, and 14.1 km Auau Channel in 3 days.
Humenik took the June photograph in the 2015 MSF Calendar.
January: Anthony McCarley, English Channel. Photo by Roger Taylor.
February: Santa Barbara Channel. Photo by Theo Schmeeckle.
March: Ted Erikson at Promontory Point, Chicago. Photo by Louise LeBourgeois.
April: Sarah Thomas at The Arc, USA. Photo by Ken Classen.
May: Underway at Lake Willoughby, USA. Photo by Phil White.
June: Grace van der Byl at MIMS 2014, USA. Photo by John Humenik.
July: Navigation, Lake Pend Oreille, USA. Photo by Andrew Malinak.
August: Suva off Cap Gris Nez, English Channel. Photo by Zoe Sadler.
September: Applegate Lake 10K Start, USA. Photo by Peter Ray.
October: Bethany Bosch & Guri at Lake Willoughby. Photo by Phil White.
November: Round Christiansborg, Denmark. Photo by Samuel Tyson.
December: Nightswimming, Ireland. Photo by Donal Buckley.
- History of The Great Race at Kingdom Swim
- Marathon Swimmers Federation
- The Swimmers Of 2015
- NYC Swim bio
- 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim
- 7 Uber Days Between 8 Long Bridges
- Five To Swim Three Rivers
- Sarah Thomas, John Humenik Set Record In 3RMS
- Three Rivers Marathon Swim Alumni Relay
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming
- The Genesis Of 40 Bridges, Doing 57 Miles With A Smile
- Thrice As Nice On The Three Rivers Marathon Swim
- 3 For 3, The ʻAu I Nā Mokupuni ʻEkolu Swim Challenge