Jay Wilkerson is an American open water swimmer who swam collegiately at Florida State University. He spent a career as a pilot and flying instructor with the U.S. Air Force.
Open Water Swimming Highlights
- He won the USA Swimming national open water swimming championships and represented the United States in international competitions including the 1984 USA Long Distance International Championships.
- He finished 5th in the 25 km marathon swim at the 1991 FINA World Championships in Australia.
- He finished 2nd in the 36.2 km Atlantic City Around-the-Island Swim in July 1991.
- He won the 16-mile ocean swim at the 1990 Seal Beach Rough Water Swim in Seal Beach, California.
- Wilkerson remains one of the English Channel relay record-holders along with Chad Hundeby, Martha Jahn, Karen Burton, Dirk Bouma, and Sid Cassidy. The USA Swimming national open water team members set three English Channel relay records: 6 hours 52 minutes on their first leg (England-to-France), 7 hours 26 minutes on their second leg (France-to-England), and the fastest overall and fastest 2-way relay (England-to-France-to-England) in 14 hours 18 minutes in 1990. The team was coached by Penny Dean and John York.
1991 FINA World Championships 25 km Race Results
Held in Swan River in Perth, Australia.
1 Chad Hundeby 5:01:46
2 Sergio Chariandini 5:03:19
3 David O'Brien 5:08:53
4 Nace Majcen 5:13:08
5 Jay Wilkerson 5:15:20
6 Roberto Faccinetti 5:16:14
7 Christof Wandratsch 5:18:44
8 Peter Galvin 5:19:28
9 Dragan Kurgic 5:20:32
10 Greg Streppel 5:22:52
11 Martijn van Heusden 5:24:07
12 Attila Molnar 5:26:21
13 Justin Palfrey 5:29:40
14 Michal Sanda 5:31:35
15 Jaime Gavaid 5:33:03
16 Mauricio Buczmiejuk 5:33:13
17 Dusan Toth Szabo 5:38:17
18 Marc Newman 5:40:46
19 Erik van Dartel 5:41:31
20 Michal Spacek 5:46:53
21 Ricardo Sperti 5:58:54
22 Jordi Cervera 6:02:31
23 Mohammed Abdel 6:04:07
24 Nazr Hasabala 6:06:48
25 Karim Madsen 6:42:30
26 Taranath Narayan Shenoy 7:26:41
- Solo versus Relay Records in the Channels
- Shelley Taylor-Smith On WOWSA Live
- On Course - Eventually - To The Olympic Marathon Swim
- Karen Burton Talks About Swimming Around The World On WOWSA Live
- Back In The Day
- History Of The Seal Beach Rough Water Swim
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Marathon Swimming
- Open Water Swimming
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- I Got Stung
- Seal Beach Rough Water Swim
- Catalina Channel Swimming Back In The Day
- A Powerhouse - 1990 USA National Open Water Swim Team
- Baby Boomers Looking To Test Time
- How Fast Do You Have To Be?
- Karen Burton Reeder, Flying High In The Open Water