Jan van Scheijndel
Jan van Scheijndel (or Jan Van Scheijndel or Jan Van Scheyndal) (1937 - 2011) was a professional marathon swimmer from the Netherlands, a trainer and coach with the The Hague Swim Club DES, and a member of the World Professional Marathon Swimming Federation. He was inducted as an Honour Swimmer in the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame in 1985.
Jan van Scheijndel Memorial Swim
Open Water Swimming Career
- He won the 1972 Traversée internationale du lac St-Jean in 10 hours 48 minutes 43 seconds
- He finished third in the 1970 Traversée internationale du lac St-Jean in 8 hours 53 minutes 36 seconds
- He finished second in the 1971 Traversée internationale du lac St-Jean in 9 hours 7 minutes 5 seconds
- He finished eighth in the 1973 Traversée internationale du lac St-Jean in 8 hours 54 minutes 38 seconds from Péribonka to Roberval in Quebec, Canada.
- He was the second person from The Netherlands to swim across the English Channel (after Jan van Hemsbergen). He completed his crossing in 12 hours 47 minutes in 1969
- He set an English Channel record with his swim team “Haagse Bluf” in 1969
- He was the Lake Windermere International champion in 1968.
- In 1965, he started the New Year’s Dive (Nieuwjaarsduik in Dutch) in The Hague with 7 people. The event now draws over 10,000 participants.
- In 1969, he became the first person to successfully cross 21 km of the IJsselmeer in the Netherlands from Stavoren to Medemblik, thus initially the IJsselmeer Zwemmarathon, one of the World's Top 100 Open Water Swims.
- Toughness Defined In The 1972 Traversée internationale du lac St-Jean
- IJsselmeer Zwemmarathon Honored By The Hall Of Fame
- The Turbulent Traversée, Jan Van Scheijndel In Lac St-Jean
- Results of the Traversée internationale du lac St-Jean from 1955-2012
- In memoriam Jan van Scheijndel
- Jan Van Scheijndel Passes And Leaves A Legacy In His Wake
- Sharp As A Swimmer, The Mervyn Marathon Magic
- Open Water Swimming
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Marathon Swimming
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- I Got Stung