noun - inReach Messaging is a two-way text messaging service that is capable of sending and receiving messages anywhere in the world via the inReach satellite communicator.
His escort crew used inReach Messaging to replay his progress across the channel.
- 2014 National Geographic Gear of the Year Award: National Geographic has named inReach as a recipient of their 2014 Fall and Winter Gear of the Year Award. Editor Steve Casimiro said, "The inReach Explorer builds everything you could want into a satellite communicator, and it does it flawlessly."
- 2014 Backpacker Editors’ Choice Snow Award: inReach has been honored as a recipient of the 2014 Backpacker Magazine Editors’ Choice Snow Award, the most prestigious award, bestowed annually to products for their outstanding design and performance.
- 2014 American Alpine Institute Guides Choice Award: The American Alpine Institute's prestigious Guides Choice Program identifies the best and most cutting-edge equipment for alpinists, rock climbers, skiers, and many other backcountry travelers for the past 25 years.
- 2014 Fish Alaska Magazine Editors' Choice Award: The Fish Alaska editors and field testers spent the past angling season testing the latest field accessories for out-of-the-box performance and durability. The Fish Alaska Editors' Choice Award recognizes this year's top rated fishing essentials.
- Sail Magazine's 2014 Pittman Innovation Award: The Pittman Innovation Award, named after Freeman K. Pittman, Sail Magazine's long-time technical editor, is an annual award presented by the editors of Sail Magazine to the best new products in the sailing industry for their fresh and innovative solutions.
- 50 Campfires Gear of the Year Award 2013: The editors at 50 Campfires have spent many hours field testing and researching the latest and greatest camping gear. The 50 Campfires Gear of the Year Award honors the essential gadgets and accessories that make your excursion easier, safer and more enjoyable.
- Occupational Health & Safety 2013 New Product of the Year Award: The Occupational Health & Safety New Product of the Year Award honors the outstanding product development achievements of health and safety manufacturers whose products are considered particularly noteworthy in their ability to improve workplace safety.
- Backpacker 2012 Editors’ Choice Award: The Backpacker Editors’ Choice Awards, bestowed annually since 1993, recognize the products that Backpacker editors have chosen as the best of the year based on months of trail testing by teams of highly experienced hikers and climbers.
- 2012 NMMA Innovation Award: inReach received the 2012 National Marine Manufacturers Organization (NMMA) Innovation Award in the Consumer Electronics Category. The award was announced February 16 at the Miami International Boat Show, the premier event of its kind.
- 2011 Men’s Journal Gear of the Year: Men’s Journal editorial experts scour the globe each year for “the coolest gadgets, the most tech-savvy active wear and the all-around best gear out there for the active, accomplished man.” Their conclusion — inReach is “the backcountry savior.”
- 2011 Popular Science Best of What’s New Award: “The Best of What’s New Award is the magazine’s top honor and the 100 winners — chosen from among thousands of entrants — represent the highest level of achievement in the field.” Mark Jannot, Editor-in-Chief
- CES 2012 Innovations Award: It honors outstanding design and engineering in cutting-edge consumer electronics products and is sponsored by the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA), producer of the International CES, the world’s largest consumer technology trade show.
- National Geographic Adventure Gear of the Year Award 2011: Twice a year, National Geographic Adventure offers its roundup of “the most innovative gear of the season,” and the DeLorme inReach was selected as one of the Fall-Winter Gear of the Year honorees. Editor Steve Casimiro said, “DeLorme’s InReach stands to revolutionize backcountry communication by allowing you to call for help and get an instant response by sending and receiving text messages via satellite. ‘On r way’ could be the best text you ever get.”
- Outside Magazine Gear of the Show: “DeLorme has been at the forefront of GPS technology and satellite communications for the past few years. This year’s inReach ups the ante.” Sam Moulton, Gear Editor
- GearJunkie Best of Show: “The inReach will send and receive text messages outside of cell phone range. The receive half of the equation is the big deal here.” Stephen Regenold, Editor-in-Chief