Open Water Swimming Career
- Brickner swam an annual New Year's Day Swim in the Allegheny River.
- He completed an open water swim across the Monongahela River on 24 January 1963 when the air temperatures dropped as low as -18ºF (-27ºC).
- Brickner's had two unsuccessful attempts across the English Channel in 1957 and 1959.
- Brickner logged more than 38,000 total miles before he died at age 79 in 1991.
- Brickner swam 16 miles across Deep Creek Lake at 2,461-feet altitude at the age of 46 on 23 August 1958 from Green Glade Inlet to Deep Creek Lodge at McHenry in 8 hours 10 minutes.
- Brickner often broke the ice to go for a mid-winter swim.