Greg Streppel is a Canadian open water swimmer and the Canadian Swimmer of the Year in 1991, 1992, 1994, 1994 and 1995. The International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame Honor Swimmer is currently a pharmacist living in Cambridge, Ontario.
Open Water Swimming Career
- He represented Canada at the 1991 World Swimming Championships in Perth, Australia finishing 10th.
- He won the 1991 42 km Traversée Internationale du lac Memphrémagog in Quebec, Canada.
- On 10 August 1992, he finished 3rd in the Sylvan Lake World Series Marathon Swim in Alberta, Canada.
- He represented Canada at the 1994 World Swimming Championships in Rome, Italy.
- He was recognized in 2009 through Swimming Canada's Circle of Excellence.
- He won the 25 km gold medal at the 1994 World Championships.
- He is an Honour Swimmer inducted in the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame in the Class of 1996.
- In 1995, he was recognized in his hometown by being presented with the Tim Turow Cambridge athlete of the year award.
- Streppel was the Canadian marathon swimming champion from 1990 to 1995, and in 1994 and 1995.
- He won the Pan Pacific Swimming Championships marathon swim.
- He won 11 FINA World Cup marathon swimming races in Argentina, Mexico, and Italy in the 1994 and 1995 Maratón Acuática Internacional Santa Fe - Coronda, a 56 km FINA Open Water Swimming Grand Prix race held in the Coronda River in Argentina.
- Between 1992 and 1995, he won every FINA open water swimming race he entered and won 14 of the last 16 races of his career.
- He won the 7 km Hawaiian Christmas Looong Distance Invitational Rough-H2O Swim on Oahu.
- A graduate of the University of British Columbia with a degree in pharmacy, Streppel began swimming with the Cambridge Aquajets at the age of 10, quickly winning five provincial titles. He made it to his first Summer Nationals at the age of 15 and was the youngest competitor in the race.
- Between 1988 and 1995 he was a member of the Canadian national team, excelling in both the pool and marathon events. He finished sixth at the 1998 World University Games in 1988 at Sarajevo.
- Streppel is still participating in masters swimming and open water swimming competitions at the age 46, and posted a 16:56 for 1500 short course meters swim at the 2014 Canadian Masters swimming championships.
Swimming Canada's Circle of Excellence
The greatest Canadian swimmers of all time are recognized for their outstanding accomplishments and contributions to the sport of swimming through Swimming Canada's Circle of Excellence. In order to be considered for nomination, a swimmer must have achieved: a gold medal at the Commonwealth Games, Pan American Games or Short Course World championships or; a gold, silver or bronze medal at the Olympics or Long Course World Championships.
1991 FINA World Championships 25 km Race Results
Held in Swan River in Perth, Australia.
1 Chad Hundeby 5:01:46
2 Sergio Chariandini 5:03:19
3 David O'Brien 5:08:53
4 Nace Majcen 5:13:08
5 Jay Wilkerson 5:15:20
6 Roberto Faccinetti 5:16:14
7 Christof Wandratsch 5:18:44
8 Peter Galvin 5:19:28
9 Dragan Kurgic 5:20:32
10 Greg Streppel 5:22:52
11 Martijn van Heusden 5:24:07
12 Attila Molnar 5:26:21
13 Justin Palfrey 5:29:40
14 Michal Sanda 5:31:35
15 Jaime Gavaid 5:33:03
16 Mauricio Buczmiejuk 5:33:13
17 Dusan Toth Szabo 5:38:17
18 Marc Newman 5:40:46
19 Erik van Dartel 5:41:31
20 Michal Spacek 5:46:53
21 Ricardo Sperti 5:58:54
22 Jordi Cervera 6:02:31
23 Mohammed Abdel 6:04:07
24 Nazr Hasabala 6:06:48
25 Karim Madsen 6:42:30
26 Taranath Narayan Shenoy 7:26:41
- Ignorance Was Bliss; Wisdom Was Welcomed By Kim Dyke
- Rough, Rough Waters In The 1993 Swim Across The Sound
- When Diego Degano, Shelley Taylor-Smith Ruled Sylvan Lake
- Greg Streppel Talks About Global Travels & FINA Victories On WOWSA Live
- Bryan Finlay Honored By International Marathon Swimming Hall Of Fame
- We Know Richard Weinberger, But Who Is Eric Hedlin?
- Hawaiian Christmas Looong Distance Swim, The Double Roughwater
- Double The Distance, Twice As Nice
- Who Will Top Maratón Acuática Santa Fe - Coronda in 2014?
- Fun Facts For Freestylers
- Honoring Contributors In The Hall Of Fame
- Ned Denison Recruits Crème De La Crème To Hall Of Fame
- Great Moves In Open Water Swimming History - Río Coronda
- Cambridge Swimming Hall of Fame
- Best of COW Swimming
- Swimming Canada alumni
- International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame
- Possibly Annual Hawaiian Christmas Looong Distance Invitational Rough-H2O Swim
- World Professional Marathon Swimming Federation
- First 24 Years Of Lac Memphrémagog Traversée
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- Marathon Swimming