Flowers Sea Swim
The Flowers Sea Swim is an annual 1-mile (1.62 km) swim on Grand Cayman Islands in the Cayman Islands. It is one of the world’s greatest open water swimming events and is annually named as one of the World's Top 100 Open Water Swims and one of the World's Top 100 Island Swims. In terms of sheer beauty, local hospitality, world-class competitiveness, cash prize money, innovative initiatives for spectators, fitness orientation and the open water swimming world’s largest distribution of random prizes, Flowers Sea Swim is considered by some to be the greatest open water swim in the world.
It is named after race founder Frank Flowers.
The beauty of the one-mile course is nearly beyond comprehension. The venue on Seven Mile Beach is simply stunning, a living aquarium. The warm tropical crystal-clear waters gently envelopes the swimmers in the protected, nearly always flat beach.
Seven Mile Beach is on Grand Cayman in the Cayman Islands, south of Cuba and east of Cancún, Mexico. The idyllic Caribbean Sea resort welcomes the swimmers with soft sea breezes and gorgeous white sands offset by the azul sea.
2013 is the 21st year of the annual event in June. 960 swimmers from all over the world ages 8 to 80 years old, including numerous world champions and Olympic medalists, participated in 2013. Many enter to simply participate and finish the event. Some are competitive and strive to win the US$25,000 prize to break the world’s open water swimming mile record or the US$5,000 prize to break the course records (men and female).
The highlight of the event is after all the swimmers arrive onshore and a drawing of over US$100,000 in prizes is randomly distributed to the field. Prizes include round-trip tickets on Cayman Airways, Digicel phones, Red Sail Sports activities, restaurant vouchers and holds the swimsuit-clad audience enraptured to the very end.
The excitement of the race, the hospitality of the organizers and the small details that are offered (e.g., offer of sunscreen before the race) are reasons to make this race an annual event on any open water swimmer’s calendar.
Straight point-to-point 1 mile
Country Cayman Islands
Class: Professional and amateur, minimum age: 8 years old
Notes: S1-10 disabled athletes, Paralympians and Special Olympics athletes are welcomed.
Prizes: US$25,000 is given to the male and female athletes who break the world's ocean mile record. US$5,000 is given to those who break the course record. Over US$120,000 in prizes is given randomly to those athletes who will the world's largest open water swimming prize give-away after the end of the race.
- Flowers Sea Swim website
- Flowers Group
- Open Water Swimming
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- World's Top 100 Open Water Swims
- Feed Our Future
- Flowers Sea Swim Held To A Higher Standard
- Flowers Sea Swim 10K
- Olympic Fever In The Cayman Islands
- Joey Pedraza Edges Jordan Wilimovsky
- Elizabeth Berns Makes A Splish In The Cayman Islands
- Alexandra Mia Burke And Mother Complete Flowers Sea Swim
- Olympians Finish 1-2-3 In Flowers Sea Swim
- Lots Of Smiles And Sunshine In Flowers Sea Swim
- Sand, Sun And Sea In The Cayman Islands
- Peter Mackay Standing Out Among The Crowd
- DAM, They Know How To Travel And Swim
- Greatest Group Of Breaststrokers Doing Open Water
- Rebecca Soni Going Long In The Sea
- His Excellency The Governor Duncan Taylor Gives A High 5
- Scott Simmer Swims Swiftly
- Haley Anderson Preparing For Barcelona
- Zsofia Balazs Wins Flowers International 10k
- Joey Pedraza Barely Edges Jordan Wilimovsky Again
- It Looks Longer From The Water
- After Hours With Open Water Swimmers
- Talk About Tough
- Sinclair Flowers, Model Extraordinaire
- Lexie Kelly Changes From High Heels To Flip Flops
- When Women Move Men And Mindsets
- From The Olympics To The Open Water
- Anna Lominadze Ties Up A Distance Record
- Chip Peterson Goes 2 For 2 At Flowers Sea Swim
- Unbelievably Gorgeous, Awe-Inspiring Open Water Places
- Travel And Raise Money While Making Waves
- Mark Perry Has Grand Plans For Canada In The Open Water
- Canadians Cruise In Cayman
- Win US$5000 And More In The Flowers Sea Swim
- Enjoying The Transition From The Pool To Open Water
- Open Water Swimming
- Marathon Swimming
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- Tokyo's Warm Water Continues To Lead To Changes
- Alex Meyer, Lexie Kelly Win Flowers Sea Swim
- Anup Itwar Working Wonders