Dr. David Gerrard is the Vice Chairman of the FINA Sports Medicine Committee, a group of physicians who advise FINA (Fédération Internationale de Natation Amateur) on medical issues, including hypothermia and hyperthermia. The first committee was formed in 1966 and, two years later, a Medical Committee under the name of International Sports Medicine Committee was established as the equivalent to a technical committee.
Dr. Gerrard is a professor of Sports Medicine at the Dunedin School of Medicine, University of Otago in New Zealand with additional responsibilities as Clinical Education Advisor in the Dunedin School of Medicine at the University of Otago.
His research, publications and teaching focus is on many aspects of clinical sports medicine with a particular interest in paediatric sports medicine, aquatic sport, drug misuse in sport and the bioethics of sports medical practice.
In addition to serving as the Vice-Chairman of the FINA Sports Medicine Committee, he is a member of the IRB Anti-Doping Advisory Committee, Chairman of the WADA Therapeutic Use Exemption Committee and as a member of the WADA Health, Medicine & Research Committee.
From a competitive background in international swimming (1964 Tokyo Olympics, 1966 Commonwealth Games swimming gold medal in Kingston), he has attended 9 Summer Olympics in various roles as a competitor, team doctor, Chef-de-Mission, Medical Commissioner, FINA Medical Delegate.
FINA Sports Medicine Committee Leadership
- Zachary Firsov (URS, 1966-1984)
- Jose Antonio Merino (ESP, 1984-1992)
- Allan B. Richardson (USA, 1992-2000)
- David Gerrard (NZL, 2000-2001)
- Margo Mountjoy (CAN)
The Honorable Secretaries included E. Gebhardt (GDR, 1969-1972), H. N. Bleasdale (GBR, 1972-1976), A. J. Bert de Pape (CAN, 1976-1992), J. Malcom Cameron (GBR, 1992-2000), Margo Mountjoy (CAN, 2000-2001), Peter E. Snape (GBR, 2001- 2003) and, since 2003, Eide Luebs (GER).
2009-2013 FINA Sports Medicine Committee Members
1. Dr. Cees-Rein Van Der Hoogenband, Chairman of the FINA Sports Medicine Committee
2. Dr. David Gerrard, Vice Chairman
3. Dr. Saul Marks, Honorary Secretary
4. Dr. Kevin Boyd, Member
5. Dr. Mouhamedou Diop, Member
6. Dr. Farhard Moradi Shahpar, Member
7. Dr. Jim Miller, Events Sub-Committee
8. Dr. Kyriakos Nanousis, Events Sub-Committee
9. Dr. Margo Mountjoy, FINA Bureau Liaison and IOC Member
- Andrew Gemmell Speaks Out About FINA's Swimming World
- FINA Sports Medicine Committee
- Marathon Swimming
- Athletes Do Right Thing By Craig Lord
- FINA official website
- FINA Taking It To The Edge
- FINA Reaches Height of Ignorance
- FINA Taking It To The Edge - Part 2
- FINA Taking It To The Edge - Part 3
- Commentary of The 25K FINA World Championships
- FINA Formally Approves 31°C Rule
- FINA To Fix Maximum Water Temperature At 31°C
- Great Memories Of Fran Crippen, Great Decision By USA
- Japan Is Right On, But What Were Others Thinking?!?
- Commentary on 25K FINA World Championships
- Canada, Netherlands, Japan, USA Avoid Hot Water
- Will Color Come To Tokyo?