Open Water Swimming Career
- Garland participated in the Swim Long Beach relay across the Catalina Channel.
- Garland is a member of the Sea Monkeys and attempted to complete the Sea Monkey Challenge in Seal Beach, California, a year-round ocean swimming challenge.
- Garland finished third in the 3-mile ocean swim at the 48th Annual Seal Beach Rough Water Swim in Seal Beach, California on 24 June 2017.
- Garland finished 6th in the Huntington Beach Pier Swim in Huntington Beach, California on 9 June 2018.
Sea Monkey Challenge
The Sea Monkey Challenge is a year-round program to swim in Seal Beach, California initiated by the Sea Monkeys, a pod of ocean swimmers who train and compete up and down the Southern California coast and many places around the world. Weekly workouts are held in the early morning hours on Thursday where ocean swimmers meet at the foot of the Seal Beach Pier.
- The Sea Monkey Challenge Is A Year-round Commitment
- Douglas Garland Fitness in LA
- Tough As Nails Across The Catalina Channel
- Catalina Channel Swimming Federation
- Sea Monkeys Hang Around Seal Beach Pier
- Swim Long Beach Have Serious Fun
- Sea Monkey Challenge Update
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Marathon Swimming
- Open Water Swimming
- 48th Annual Seal Beach Rough Water Swim
- Hank Wise, Abigail Bergman Win Seal Beach 3 Miler