Loeffler enlisted in the Navy in 1985 and was assigned to SEAL Team 4, out of Little Creek, Virginia. The disabled veteran spent years in military zones throughout the world. He graduated BUD/S class 139 and is an employee of the VA hospital in Prescott, Arizona.
Open Water Swimming
- After his Navy service, he became an open water swimmer with experience in the California Channel Islands and Lake Michigan.
- On 16 July 2016, he finished 28th in the 10 km Applegate Lake Swim in 2 hours 56 minutes 10 seconds at the age of 51.
- On 6 August 2016, he finished 5th in the 16 km Deer Creek Marathon Swim in 5 hours 11 minutes 42 seconds.
- He pioneered the 21-mile (34 km) course from LCI Point on San Clemente Island to China Point on Catalina Island on 8-9 October 2018, sanctioned by the Santa Barbara Channel Swimming Association, completed in 15 hours 29 minutes 10 seconds. The charity swim was attempted to raise awareness of the healing properties of nature and to raise funds for The Jimmy Miller Memorial Foundation, which offers ocean therapy to at-risk youth and combat veterans.
- He appeared in the month of February in the 2019 Marathon Swimmers Federation photo calendar.
- On 27 April 2019, he had the 14th fastest cumulative time of 18:02:16.1 in the 2019 SCAR Swim Challenge in Arizona.
- On 24 August, he finished 15th overall in the 15.2 km Saguaro Lake stage swim of the 4-day SCAR Swim Challenge in Arizona in 3:41:07.7.
- On 25 August, he finished 17th in the 14.4 km Canyon Lake stage swim of the 4-day SCAR Swim Challenge in Arizona in 3:40:33.9.
- On 26 April 2019, he finished 20th in the 27.3 km stage across Apache Lake on Day 3 of the 4-day S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge in Arizona in 7:15:17.2 at the age of 54.
- On 27 April 2019, he finished 15th in the 10 km stage across Roosevelt Lake on Day 4 of the 4-day S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge in Arizona in 3:25:17.3 at the age of 44.
- The History of Swimming 4 Long Days In SCAR
- The Big Swim
- Jimmy Miller Foundation
- Dave Loeffler's Unprecedented Swim For Ocean Therapy
- Navy SEAL plans San Clemente to Catalina swim
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Marathon Swimmers Federation bio
- Celebrating Swimmers Of The Santa Barbara Channel
- Dave Loeffler's Big Swim To Be Celebrated
- Swimming From Alcatraz For The First Time
- A Year With The Marathon Swimmers Federation
- SCAR Swim Challenge Facebook page
- SCAR Swim Challenge, A Kent Nicholas Dream Realized
- Jessica Kieras Wins Day 2 Of S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge
- Fast Flyer Freestyles, Finishes First
- Keeping Pace At SCAR Swim Challenge
- S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge Breeds Toughness
- Sunset Starts SCAR
- Stunningly Spectacular! SCAR Swims
- SCAR Is On, The 4-Day Race Has Begun