Christie Plank Ciraulo
Christie Plank Ciraulo is a 63-year-old American pool and open water swimmer and a member of the Mighty Mermaids, a fantastically fit female group of open water swimmers who have set records and won competitions from coast to coast.
- The Mighty Mermaids are a special team where age and competitiveness are their calling cards. The team consists of Christie Plank Ciraulo (55), Nancy Steadman Martin (54), Lisa Bennett (53), Jenny Cook (51), Karen Farnsworth Einsidler (53) and Tracy Grilli (52). When Christie turned 50, she dreamed to organize a group of fast women in their 50's to swim together on a major open water swimming relay. Christie was looking for something more than just pool swimming. She introduced herself to Tracy and Nancy and kept in touch for over a year before the Trans Tahoe Relay became a possibility. Jenny, Karen and Lisa were recruited and confirmed in short order. As Christie recalled, "Once our team was set, we were already picking out our team color, team suits and team nail polish.”
- They have finished fifth overall in the 2009 Manhattan Island Marathon Swim (7 hours 33 minutes).
- They finished 24th overall and 2nd fastest female team at the 2008 Trans Tahoe Relay.
- They made names for themselves in numerous individual open water swimming and pool swimming competitions.
- They did a 9:19:44 crossing of the Catalina Channel in setting the record for an all-female over-50 relay team by over an hour and a half.
- They finished fourth overall in the 2014 Lake Travis Relay in Austin, Texas.
- They completed the 57.9 km END-WET swim from North Dakota to Minnesota on 16 June 2018 in 10 hours 32 minutes.
- In their first collective foray, the Mighty Mermaids won their division at the 2008 Trans Tahoe Relay, finishing ahead of their nearest rival by 90 minutes, setting an unprecedented standard for their age-group. Their swim at the 2009 Manhattan Island Marathon Swim continues to showcase their ageless talents.
- Ciraulo has earned 144 spots on the US Masters Swimming Top Ten lists and numerous World Top Ten rankings.
- Ciraulo won U.S. Masters Swimming national championships in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 2008 and 2009.
- Ciraulo won her age group divisions at the Waikiki Roughwater Swim and several ocean swims in Manhattan Beach, Seal Beach and Newport Beach in California.
- Ciraulo was the high-point scorer in the 2015 and 2016 Southern Pacific Masters Open Water Series.
- Ciraulo finished third overall in the 3-mile ocean swim at the 48th Annual Seal Beach Rough Water Swim in Seal Beach, California on 24 June 2017.
- Mighty Mermaids
- Mighty Mermaids Making Waves
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- Christie Ciraulo, Noah Garrett Earn Southern California Titles
- The Age-Old Question - Terra Firma vs. Open Water
- Nicknames In The Open Water Swimming World
- Mighty Mermaids In Manhattan
- 2009 World Open Water Swimming Women Of The Year Nominees
- Christie Plank Ciraulo, A Mighty Mermaid In The Pool
- What Are Swimmers Known As?
- Mighty Mermaids, Pretty In Pink, Ready To Race
- AquaTex Take Travis In Texas
- How Lynne Cox Impresses The World
- Marathon Swimming
- Olympic 10K Marathon Swimming
- Open Water Swimming
- The California Open Water Swimming Oasis
- 2016 SPMS Open Water Series Winners
- Hank Wise, Abigail Bergman Win Seal Beach 3 Miler
- Sandra Frimerman-Bergquist Gets To End First