Chris Shapland is a 69-year-old Australian swimming coach, aquapreneur and ocean swimmer from Toowoomba.
Shapland and his family has been involved in the swimming industry since 1948. A former National and State champion competitive swimmer and record holder in the pool, Chris also represented Queensland in surf life saving at the National titles in 1967-1968 and 1968-1969 seasons. He still competes in the masters surf lifesaving.
Shapland is a member of the Half Century Club for his crossing of the English Channel at the age of 69 in September 2016.
Shaplands Academy of Swimming
The death of his father in 1980 forced some changes upon his life as Shapland was faced with the choice of either continuing to develop his love of coaching or walk away from that section of the industry In order to keep the family swim school operating.
Shapland moved his family from Toowoomba in 1981 to take control of Shaplands Academy of Swimming.
In 1992, he started franchising his family's business system and now has 11 franchises and three company owned sites operating in South East Queensland.
Oldest Individuals to Cross the English Channel
1. Otto Thaning (South Africa), 73 years, E/F, 12 hours 52 minutes (2014)
2. Cyril Baldock (Australia), 70 years 9 months, E/F, 12 hours 45 minutes (2014)
3. Roger Allsopp (England), 70 years 4 months, E/F, in 17 hours 51 minutes (2011)
4. George Brunstad (USA), 70 years 3 days, E/F, in 15 hours 59 minutes (2004)
5. Chris Shapland (Australia), 69 years, E/F, in 16 hours 28 minutes (2016)
6. Donald Riddington (Australia), 68, E/F, in 19 hours 45 minutes (2013)
7. Clifford Batt (Australia), 67, F/E, in 18 hours 37 minutes (1987)
8. Ashby Harper (USA), 65, E/F, in 13 hours 52 minutes (1982)
9. Joe Smith (England), 65, E/F, in 14 hours 9 minutes (1999)
10. Roger Allsopp (England), 65, E/F, in 15 hours 30 minutes (2006)
11. Sue Oldham (Australia), 65, E/F, in 17 hours 11 minutes (2010)
- Doc Counsilman Helped Usher In An Increasingly Graying Trend In Channel Swimming
- How Far Is The English Channel?
- Shaplands Academy of Swimming
- Chris Shapland En Route To Proving Swimming Is Lifelong
- Shapland Swimming As A Near Septuagenarian
- Oldest Individuals To Swim Across The World's Channels
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming