Chebika (الشبيكة) is a mountain oasis in western Tunisia, in Tozeur Governorate where the Ouma of Dunes event organized by Nejib Belhedi is held.
Chebika lies at the foot of the mountains of the Djebel el Negueb and, because of its exposure to the sun, it is known as Qasr el-Shams ("Castle of the Sun" in Arabic). In antiquity, it was once a Roman outpost, named Ad Speculum and later a mountain refuge of the Berber people. The contemporary village of Chebika comprises several hundred people, build near the old one, abandoned in 1969 after catastrophic inundations.
Many scenes of the movie Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope and The English Patient were shot in this area.
Ouma of Dunes
The Ouma of Dunes is a multi-day, multi-event ouma festival organized by Nejib Belhedi in the Tunisian Sahara desert. The Ouma of Dunes kick-offs the Saharan swimming circuit where children and adults can swim in natural clean open bodies of water in Tunisia. The program includes events in Tozeur, Tamerza, Chebika, La Corbeille de Nefta, Ksar Ghilane, Tataouine, Douz, and Matmata.
- Swimming In The Sahara, Ouma And Oases Of Open Water
- Ouma Facebook page
- Ouma Expands To Next Generation In Tunisia
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming
- Ouma during the 1400K Swim Across Tunisia
- Eco-Battle Over Oued Ellouza, Fought With Ouma
- A Peaceful End To The 1400K Swim Across Tunisia
- Adam Walker Shares Ouma And His Passion
- Swim Of Peace Ouma - Djerba In Tunisia