The Canary Islands (Spanish: Islas Canarias), also known as the Canaries (Spanish: Canarias, Berber: Taknara), are a Spanish archipelago located just off the northwest coast of mainland Africa, 100 km west of the border between Morocco and the Western Sahara. The Canaries are a Spanish autonomous community and an outermost region of the European Union. The islands include (from largest to smallest): Tenerife, Gran Canaria, Fuerteventura, Lanzarote, La Palma, La Gomera, El Hierro, La Graciosa, Alegranza, Montaña Clara, Roque del Este, Roque del Oeste and Isla de Lobos.
The archipelago's beaches, climate and important natural attractions, especially Teide National Park and Mount Teide (the third largest volcano in the world), make it a major tourist destination, with over 12 million visitors per year, especially Tenerife, Gran Canaria and Lanzarote.
The islands have a subtropical climate, with long warm summers and moderately warm winters. Las Palmas de Gran Canaria has been the largest city in the Canaries since 1768. The third largest city of the Canary Islands is La Laguna (a World Heritage Site) on Tenerife.
During the times of the Spanish Empire the Canaries were the main stopover for Spanish galleons on their way to America because of the favorable easterly winds.
Open Water Swimming
The Canary Islands are site of many open water swimming camps and events including
- the 2.6 km interisland Travesía a Nado El Rio from Lanzarote to La Graciosa, one of the World's Top 100 Island Swims
- the 15 km Travesia la Bocaina
- the 18 km Travesía a Nado Mar de Las Calmas in La Restinga, El Hierro
- the 1.9 km and 3.8 km Sailfish Lanzarote Open Water Spring in Lanzarote in the Playa Grande, Pto del Carmen
- Mark Pollard, Mickey Helps, Michelle Macy, David Kimber, and Mike Baumann) will swim the Talisker Whisky Atlantic Challenge course as a stage relay in 2021 from the Canary Islands to Antigua.
Travesía a Nado Mar de Las Calmas 2014 Edition
Travesía a Nado Mar de Las Calmas 2013 Edition
Travesía a Nado Mar de Las Calmas 2012 Edition
- Jasmine Harrison Continues On Her Way Along The Full Length
- Francis Pérez Captures The Wonders Of The Open Water
- Mauricio Prieto With Antonio Argüelles On Open Water Friday
- From Shore To Shore Across The Atlantic
- Diego López Dominguez To Attempt The Islands Seven
- Mayra Santos Completes 42 km Madeira Islands Ultra Swim
- Canary Islands Tourism Website
- Going Back To The Place He Loves - The Sea
- Great Places To Swim - Part 1
- El Río Is Too Much At Travesía a Nado El Río
- Sailfish Lanzarote Open Water Swim
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Marathon Swimming
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- I Got Stung
- World Marathon Swimming Association
- Swimming From The Sun To The Moon
- Straight Shooter Diego López Does The Triple Crown
- Sea Bull Completes A Canary Islands Crossing