Canandaigua Lake is the fourth largest of the Finger Lakes in the U.S. state of New York. The City of Canandaigua is located at the northern end of the lake and the village of Naples is several miles south of the southern end. Traveling west to east in the Finger Lakes region, it is the first of the Major Finger Lakes (or coming from east to west, it is the last major Finger Lake).
The name Canandaigua is derived from the Seneca name spelled variously Kanandarque, Ganondagan, Ga-nun-da-gwa, or in a modern transcription, tganǫdæ:gwęh, which means "the chosen spot", or "at the chosen town".
Open Water Swimming
Canandaigua Lake is the first of 11 solo swims across the New York Finger Lakes swum by Bridgette Hobart as part of her unprecedented Nazareth College Finger Lakes Challenge (The 5 Majors & The 4 Minors Swimming for a Cause). Hobart completed the 7 hour 38 minute 15.06-mile swim that started in 69°F and ended up in 78°F water.
NY Finger Lakes Sampler - 10k Madness
Canandaigua is site of one of the NY Finger Lakes Sampler - 10k Madness events. The 10k Madness is a 4-part 10 km marathon swim in the New York Finger Lakes of Canandaigua, Keuka, Seneca, and Cayuga, organized by Bridgette Hobart.
New York Finger Lake Swims
There is a long history of open water swimming in the New York Finger Lakes. Bridgette Hobart completed the Nazareth College Finger Lakes Challenge (or The 5 Majors & The 4 Minors Swimming for a Cause), an 9-stage 156-mile solo swim, starting on 11 July and ending on 27 September 2015. Her course included two challenges within the New York Finger Lakes: the Majors and the Minors. The Majors includes the lakes over 11 miles, ranging from 15.5 to 38 miles each with Canandaigua, Keuka, and Skaneateles in July and 38-mile Cayuga Lake and 38-mile Seneca Lake in August. The 4 Minors includes the lakes under 11 miles that she crossed over the weekends in September 2015.
Stage 1 - Canandaigua 15.5 miles in 7 hours 38 minutes on 11 July
Stage 2 - Keuka 19.88 miles in 9 hours 7 minutes on 18 July
￼Stage 3 - Skaneateles 16.03 miles in 7 hours 27 minutes on 26 July
Stage 4 - Cayuga 37.9 miles in 20 hours 33 minutes on 7-9 August
Stage 5 - Seneca 37.9 miles in 24 hours 31 minutes on 28-30 August
Stage 6 - Honeoye 4.5 miles in 2 hours 2 minutes on 18 September
Stage 7 - Conesus at 8.08 miles in 3 hours 47 minutes on 19 September
Stage 8 - Otisco at 6.21 miles in 2 hours 56 minutes on 26 September
Stage 9 - Owasco at 11.1 miles in 5 hours 57 minutes on 27 September
- Bridgette Hobart Completes Her First Finger Lake Crossing
- Bridgette Hobart Gets A Surprise From 31 Years Ago
- Five Major Deals Done By Bridgette Hobart
- Give A Hand To Swimming Across The Finger Lakes
- Finger Lakes Open Water Swim Festival
- Finger-licking Good On Seneca Lake
- Finger Lakes Open Water Swim Festival Registration
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Bridgett Hobart Finishes Stage 3 Of 9
- More People Have Hand In Finger Lakes
- Missing Two Fingers, But It's Still A Challenge
- Discipline Enables Bridgette Hobart To Meet Demands
- Bridgette Hobart Goes 9 For 9 In The Finger Lakes
- Finger Lakes Open Water Swimming
- New York Fingers Lakes Sampler Swim Times Four