Boston Light Swim
The Boston Light Swim (also known as the BLS or the Boston Lighthouse Marathon Swim in its early history and currently as the Granddaddy of Open Water Swims or BLS) is the oldest open water swimming event in the United States of America and is a competitive marathon swim held in the Boston Harbor Islands. After a hiatus of several decades, the modern-day version was re-started by James Doty in the 1970s. It is one of America's Top 100 Open Water Swims.
8.0 miles (12.8 km)
City Boston Harbor Islands, Boston
Event Date: 18 August 2012
Website: Boston Light Swim website
Swimming the Light
- Swimming the Light: A Brief History of the Boston Light Swim 1907-1941 Paperback, published 13 April 2014
- Swimming the Light: A Brief History of the Boston Light Swim 1976-2014 (Volume 2) Paperback, published 15 February 2015
Since before the turn of the twentieth century, ocean swimmers have had aspirations of "Swimming the Light". The route chosen by these early adventurers, and dreamers, went from the bridges in Charlestown to the Boston Light, on Little Brewster Island, in the outer Boston Harbor, a distance of twelve miles. In 1907, a Boston Light Swim Race was inaugurated. This book covers the Boston Light Swim Races for the years 1907 through 1941. After the race in 1941, the event was shut down for the duration of the war.
This book chronicles Boston Light Swim Races from 1976 to 2014. It is a sequel to Swimming the Light: A Brief History of the Boston Light Swim 1907-1941. It includes names of the swimmers, and dates, times and conditions of each swim. Included are anecdotes of several of the Boston Light swimmers, including swimmer and silent film star, Annette Kellerman, and English Channel swim greats, Marcy MacDonald and Peter Jurzynski. A must-read for all active and aspiring ocean and marathon swimmers, and readers who are simply interested in the remarkable exploits of those who swim long distances in the sea.
- Greg O'Connor Goes Four For Four Across Lake Willoughby
- Bob McCormack Shares The Jim Doty Story On WOWSA Live
- Bob McCormack: Author, Historian, Ocean Swimmer
- David Alleva Talks About The Pro Circuit On WOWSA Live
- The Many Faces Of Professor Paul Jagasich
- Loren King, A Renaissance Man In The Open Water
- Hall Of Famer Peter Jurzynski Talks About His Career On WOWSA Live
- Anthony McCarley Talks About Giving Back On WOWSA Live
- Swimming the Light: A Brief History of the Boston Light Swim 1976-2014 (Volume 2) Paperback – February 15, 2015
- Swimming the Light: A Brief History of the Boston Light Swim 1907-1941 Paperback – April 13, 2014
- Be A Trooper, A Century Of Open Water Swimming History
- Olympic Marathon Swims For Amateurs Of All Abilities
- List of Marathon Swims
- Open Water Swimming
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame
- Marathon Swimming
- What Is A Marathon Swim?
- Do Marathon Runs Compare To Marathon Swims?
- Longest Marathon Swims In The World
- What is The Defined Distance Of A Marathon Swim?
- How Many Channel Swimmers Are There In The World?
- A Short List of Marathon Swims
- If You Swim With Ease
- Eric Nilsson Faces Wind, Whitecaps To Win Boston Light Swim
- Anthony McCarley Taking It To Another Level
- Jim Doty Is Timeless
- Charlotte Brynn On Road To Completion
- Swimming Among The Lights Of Boston
- Shipp To Shore...After 8 Miles In Boston Light Swim
- Dori Miller Swimming Around The World
- Swimming The Light History From 1907 To 2014
- Jef Mallett Isn't Frazzled About Boston Light Swim
- Boston Light Swim
- Penny Palfrey's Tour Across America Rolls On
- Penny Palfrey Finishes First As Forecasted
- Anything Is Possible - Within Reason - In The Open Water
- Swim Coach
- Shipp Fits The Bill: NEKOWSA Swimmer Of The Year
- Kellie Joyce Latimer Emerging In Winter
- Roger Finch, Suzie Dods, Lochie Hinds Headline Boston
- Remembering Frank Wuest In The Open Water
- Bringing The Masses To The Open Water
- Fortitudine Vincimus, By Endurance We Conquer
- Roger Finch's Joy Of Life Unleashed On Land And In Water
- The Clash Of The Titans At The Boston Light Swim
- Freestyling Frazz
- The Life And Times Of Samuel Richards, Jr.