Ruby Island Swim
(Redirected from Big Ruby)
- Eddie Spearing: He was the event director for the annual British Snowboard Championships for 14 years who has lived in Wanaka since 2002.
- Jamie Norman: Local Wanaka swimmer who works at 'Have a Shot' but his passion is his involvement with the iconic Rippon Music Festival as site manager since its inception.
- Little Gems 200m: A shoreline course with helpers appropriately placed.
- The Deep 600m: A triangular course in the middle of the lake.
- The Jetty 1.2 km: Sprint to the island with a dive off the jetty. Starting from Waterfall Creek, a solid 600m swim across the channel seperating the island from the mainland will see you approaching the jetty from the left hand side.
- The Ruby 2.5 km: Centrepiece and final event of the day, an island circumnagivation. From the natural start line to the left of the rocky promontory at Waterfall Creek, swim out towards the bouy marker near the Jetty before a sharp left and experience a full lap of the island.
- Big Ruby 3.8 km: From the natural start line to the left of the rocky promontory at Waterfall Creek, swim out towards the bouy marker near the Jetty before a sharp left and two laps of the island. Enjoy 'flying' over the underwater cliff for the second time at the southern tip of Ruby Island before the well earned finishing straight back to the right hand beach finish.