(Redirected from Big Maui)
noun - Maui Nui (or Big Maui) was once a large landmass that consisted of the modern-day islands of Maui, Lanai, Molokai and Kahoolawe in Hawaii approximately 1.2 million years ago. These four islands comprise of Maui County in contemporary times.
Open Water Swimming
- Harry Huffaker unsuccessfully attempted the Maui Nui Crossings during the 1980s.
- Becca Mann completed the first 57.78 km Maui Nui Swim in August 2019 between the islands of Maui, Molokai and Lanai on 18-19 August 2019 with Captain Michael Twigg-Smith, Escort crew Steve Haumschild, Shelley Oates, Relief Captain Mike Scott, feeder Beth Mann, planning and organization by the Kaiwi Channel Association.
- 15.75 km Pailolo Channel crossing from Maui to Molokai started at 1:00 pm and finished at 5:01 pm on 18 August 2019.
- 26.50 km Kalohi Channel from Molokai to Lanai, started at 5:09 pm and finished at 3:20:15 am on 19 August 2019.
- 15.33 km Auau Channel from Lanai to Maui, started at 3:29:35 am and finished at 9:53 am on 19 August 2019.