noun, verb - Attempt is to make an effort to swim in the open water. It does not imply success or failure, but simply the intention or start of a swim to, across, around or from a particular starting location to a particular finishing location.
The swimmers tried his third attempt of the channel.
Middle English, from Anglo-French & Latin; Anglo-French attempter, from Latin attemptare, from ad- + temptare to touch, try — more at tempt. First Known Use: 14th century
- Ted Erikson Passes, But His Legacy Lives On
- Robert Bohane Honored By The Ireland Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame
- A Huge Transformation For Chloë McCardel
- Boguslaw Ogrodnik Is Extreme Many Times Over
- Lewis Pugh Lives Up To His Name As The Speedo Diplomat
- Anne Marie Ward Never Gave Up
- José Eduardo do Amaral Ferreira Completes First Two-way Travessia do Leme ao Pontal