The Aegean Sea (/ɨˈdʒiːən/; Greek: Αιγαίο Πέλαγος; Turkish: Ege Denizi or historically Turkish: Adalar Denizi) is an elongated embayment of the Mediterranean Sea located between the southern Balkan and Anatolian peninsulas. It lies between the mainlands of Greece and Turkey. In the north, it is connected to the Marmara Sea and Black Sea by the Dardanelles and Bosporus.
The Aegean Islands are within the sea and some bound it on its southern periphery, including Crete and Rhodes. The Aegean Region consists of nine provinces in southwestern Turkey, in part bordering on the Aegean sea. The sea was traditionally known as Archipelago (in Greek, Αρχιπέλαγος, meaning "chief sea"), but in English this word's meaning has changed to refer to the Aegean Islands and, generally, to any island group. It is part of the Seven Seas.
Open Water Swimming
It was site of the open water swimming competition at the 1896 Athens Olympic Games.
Locations of Olympic Swimming Events in the Open Water
In the modern Olympic Games, the early swimming events were also held in open bodies of water that included the following:
- 1896 Athens Olympics (Games of the I Olympiad): Bay of Zea off the Piraeus coast, Aegean Sea, Greece
- 1900 Paris Olympics (Games of the III Olympiad): Seine River, Paris, France
- 1904 St. Louis Olympics (Games of the III Olympiad): Man-made pond near Skinker and Wydown Boulevards, St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.A.
- 1906 Athens Intercalated Games: Neo Phaliron Bay off the coast of Athens, Greece
- 2008 Beijing Olympics (Games of the XXIX Olympiad): Shunyi Olympic Rowing-Canoeing Park (顺义奥林匹克水上公园 or 順義奧林匹克水上公園 in Chinese), outside Beijing, China
- 2012 London Olympics (Games of the XXX Olympiad): Serpentine, London, UK
- 2016 Rio Olympics (Games of the XXXI Olympiad): Copacabana Beach, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 2020 Tokyo Olympics (Games of the XXXII Olympiad): Odaiba Marine Park in Tokyo Bay, Japan
- Open Water Swimming History At The Olympics
- Ocean? Oceans? Which Is Correct?
- What Was The Most Impactful Open Water Swim In World History?
- Meeting People Along The Shore
- The Legacy Of Eunice Kennedy Shriver In The Open Water
- A Rich Concept: The Ancient Seven Seas
- Lewis Pugh official website
- MPA: Marvelously Productive Activity, 7 Swims In 7 Seas
- Seven Swims In The Seven Seas - 1 Reason, 1 Down
- Seven Swims In The Seven Seas - 1 Reason, 2 Down
- Seven Swims In The Seven Seas - 1 Reason, 6 Down
- Seven Swims In The Seven Seas For 1 Reason
- The Ancient Seven Seas And 1 Modern Mariner
- The Heavy Demands On Land Along The Seven Seas
- Going Solo Needs Teamwork
- The Sights And Sounds And Swims Of The Seven Seas
- Marine Life Nowhere To Be Seen
- What Goes Around, Comes Around: The Waterman's Way
- Olympic 10K Marathon Swimming
- Boston Throws Swim Cap Into 2014 Olympic Ring
- Offshore, Onshore Places To Visit
- In How Many Seas Have You Swum?
- Deciding On The 2024 Olympics: Seine Or Santa Monica?
- Long Beach Wins LA Olympic Marathon Swimming Bid
- Using The Eiffel Tower As An Olympic Landmark
- Patmos Revelation Excels
- Spyros Chrysikopoulos: 2 Parts Heart + 1 Part Obsession
- 2019 Special Olympics World Games In Abu Dhabi