noun - 5 Oceans or Five Oceans is a solo open water swimming feat where an individual completes an unassisted open water swim of at least 1 km in all the oceans in the world: Atlantic Ocean, Arctic Ocean, Southern Ocean, Indian Ocean and Pacific Ocean.
In 2006 Lewis Pugh achieved the "Holy Grail" of open water swimming by becoming the first person to complete the 5 Oceans.
- Atlantic Ocean - across the English Channel in 1992
- Arctic Ocean - around the most northern point of the Island of Spitsbergen in 2005
- Southern Ocean - across Whaler's Bay in Deception Island in 2005
- Indian Ocean - across Nelson Mandela Bay in 2006
- Pacific Ocean - from Manly Beach through the Sydney Heads to the Sydney Opera House in 2006
Usage dating to circa 2006 from Lewis Pugh.
- Ten Really Bad Things To Avoid In The Open Water
- Dr. David Smith, The Original Most Interesting Man In The World
- Top 10 Things To Fear In The Open Water
- Dangerous Creatures For Open Water Swimmers
- The Most Interesting Man In The Open Water World
- The 1-2-3s Of Open Water Swimming
- World Open Water Swimming Association